Problems setting up .iso shortcuts to Steam

Hi there,

I’ve been using Retroarch since a couple of weeks now, still new to most of the implemented features but i’m trying to read advices here and there to understand how the whole thing work. There’s a problem i can’t seem to figure out however.

I like using Steam as a frontend for any games, so naturally I added many roms to it, using RetroArch and various cores as executable. It worked well for any nes / snes / GB rom so far, so I tried with PSX .iso, and there’s a problem as it doesn’t work, and I don’t understand why, at least i’m not sure.

Here’s the non-steam game shortcut i’m using for my ROMS that work:

(Example):

Target:
"full path to retroarch.exe" -L "cores
estopia_libretro.dll" "full path to my rom (Castlevania III - Dracula's Curse (USA).nes)"

Start in:
"Full path to retroarch.exe folder"

Works pretty fine.

Now for PSX .isos, using Mednafen PSX HW as core, i’m using the same kind of shortcut, but it just doesn’t work. Maybe I need to specify the bios file, but where should I write the path and what should I wrote ? I tried many different things, nothing works…

I do know about the ICE tool for adding roms to Steam but i’m very used to do it this way, if it’s possible i’d prefer to stick with this option. (+ i’d like to understand what I’m doing wrong)

Thanks for the eventual answers, wish you a good day !

mednafen psx only loads bin/cue pairs and you indeed need the correct BIOS(es) in your system directory for it to work.

The game i’m trying to load has both .cue and .bin files, it works well when I launch the .cue file within Retroarch. I have the correct bios in my system folder too then.

It’s just that the shortcut don’t seem to work with .cue files or Mednafen for a reason I don’t understand.

It should work the same as any other core. I use the same kind of command line setup as you in my PS1 Steam shortcuts and they just work. Maybe try moving your BIOS files to a system folder and setting that as your system folder in directory settings.

Thanks for the reply, I managed to figure out what the problem was, having the confirmation your PS1 shortcuts were the same as mines and were working made me look somewhere else to find what my problem was.

And it was rather stupid.

When I finished configuring the core settings the first time I tried the specific game I wanted to play, I went to the .iso directory and renamed the .cue and .bin files to something easier to configure for my steam shortcut, in this case, I renamed both “game.bin” and “game.cue”. What I just learned is that .cue files stores the original .bin file name associated, meaning that if you change the file name in your system explorer, you also have to change it in your .cue file or else it will not recognize the file. (right click .cue file, open with notepad, change file name).

Hope I made it clear for people not aware about how .cue files works or those having similar problems.

Thanks for your answers ! :wink:

Cue files can definitely be a pain sometimes. Good work figuring it out!