Problems with adding multiple controllers in retroarch

Hey i’m very new to using retroarch and I am abit of a noob to this (apologies), I have followed a handy set up guide I found online and have the emulators I want installed etc and my games and everything works fine with one controller, how ever when I want to play 2 player games with both controllers connected via usb one is a PS4 controller and the other a logitech dual action, both characters move at the same time through one controller i.e in Toe jam n earl both characters are controlled at the same time by either one of the controllers, It’s like retroarch is seeing the controllers as if they were in the same usb port.

I’m using Retroarch on my Macbook Pro and i’ve spent hours this evening looking online to solve it but I just can’t seem to find a solution,i’ve tried configuring the controllers to user 1 and user 2 but it still hasn’t made any difference, really appreciate it if someone could help and I apologise if this has already been covered.

Edit: the emulator in question is snes9x and also Genesis Plus GX also had Kega fusion installed and this did the same thing there too.

Thanks in advance

Normally, you just need to go into settings > input > p1 input binds and change the device index to use the other controller.

Thank you for the quick replies :slight_smile: I have tried the device index but that doesn’t seem to fix the problem, there’s an option where you can set that only user 1 can control the interface of retroarch but when i have that selected both controls can still control the interface.

I just don’t get it, seems like I’ll be destined for the 1player life :joy:

I’m encountering the same problem, 1 year later, with 1.7.5. Amazing. Hosting games on my Mac and playing with a connected RetroPie on Raspberry Pi 3. Reproducible regardless of controllers.

After more testing, I can duplicate this on Lakka for PC and Raspberry Pi, and RetroPie using Raspberry Pi 3. All using RetroArch netplay obviously. Happens no matter which controller I use (or keyboard even), or which platform is hosting.

Testing with Bomberman on Sega Mega Drive.

Any ideas??

I have the same issue on the shield. Controller 1 controls both players while controller 2 does nothing.