Problems with latest RetroArch on JellyBean - cannot use any menu option

I have a rooted Jellybean phone, and installed Retoarch from the Play Store. However, I can’t even start the updater to get cores, as every option is greyed out and not responding. I notice that the retroarch.cfg file starts every data directory with “/data/data/” which seems wrong, but if I correct it, nothing happens. IN addition, every time I load it seems to extract the assets apk every time I start up, so I’m guessing there’s something wrong with where my original build is being installed.

Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong, or have a known good retroarch.cfg I can use to fix mine?

The /data/data thing is probably okay. A lot of things need to live inside RetroArch’s application directory, which is in /data/data.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? Sometimes the initial installation gets b0rk3d and reinstalling fixes it.

[QUOTE=hunterk;47158]The /data/data thing is probably okay. A lot of things need to live inside RetroArch’s application directory, which is in /data/data.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? Sometimes the initial installation gets b0rk3d and reinstalling fixes it.[/QUOTE]

Just tried (both the playstore and the latest nightly), no joy, still the same problem. Even going back to 1.2 doesn’t work, which is making me wonder if my phone configuration is weird (an Alcatel One Touch 6034R, running Android 4.2.2, if that matters for diagnostics).

Is there anything I can post here that might help?

Hmm, yeah, sounds like a permissions issue but I don’t know enough about Android to really troubleshoot it any further. Perhaps someone more familiar with the platform (radius, perhaps) can offer some advice.

Strange, because the phone is rooted, so there shouldn’t be any permissions in the way (although I do use an SD Card for storage). I’ll try another Android device I own and see if I can get it working there.

And trying another device, that’s fine, so I’m presuming it’s some phone specific issue. Anyway, if I can get it working on one device, that’s good enough for me, but I’ll keep looking into this, and am happy to help with tracking this issue down in case it affects others.