Problems with Mednafen Saturn

I have the correct bios files, and they are in the system folder, but whenever I try to load a game, it immediately closes. I have every other emulator running except for this one.

Any help would be appreciated. Forgive my ignorance also, I don’t know how to do a log (I’ve seen it mentioned in other threads).

If your bios are correct and having troubles with your games then your disks are bad dumps that you either need to re download new good dumps or you try and repair it with cdmage.

Hmm… they seem to be working in the other Saturn core.

Thanks for the tip though, I’ve only got a couple of ROMs to play with at the moment, I will try another source and post back with the results.

I downloaded 'Nights Into Dreams" from another source, and it’s working! I’ll try a couple more, but it looks like your assessment was quite accurate. Thank you for that. Apparently the place I was downloading them from has a bunch of garbage dumps, and I’m glad I didn’t waste any more time there.

I can’t get the Japanese version of ‘Castlevania: Symphony of the Night’ to work, ,and I downloaded it from 3 different sources (including the TOSEC version). That sucks… that was the one I really wanted, too.

It’s working though if you find the good one.

I was completely let down by this version when I finished it years ago. Always heard so much about it while it’s just an average conversion with slowdowns and superfluous extras.

Try rips dumped by “Blackwater”. These all work for me so far.

Can’t find the darkwater rip anywhere. Tatsuya, can you confirm that it works on Mednafen Saturn? I can get it working on Yabause, but not Mednafen.

I can confirm that the Blackwater rip of Akumajo Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku (Japanese Symphony of the Night) works fine with Mednafen Saturn. I had this rip in my collection for a few years now and i probably got if from some private tracker.

Although, if you have access to the PS1 version, i would recommend that instead. The Saturn port does have some noticeable issues after they scaled the game to fit it’s resolution, along with some slowdowns and lack of transparencies.

Yes the game is working for mednafen. No clue where mine is from. I have it for years.

Ok, so I have the Darkwater ‘Akumajo Dracula X’. I also did a fresh install of retroarch with the latest nightly, and I’m positive I’m using the correct bios.

It’s still closing immediately when I try to run it. I also have DonPachi (J), the Darkwater dump, and it also is not working.

All of my USA dumps from Darkwater work fine, but I have yet to have a Japanese version of any game run. I thought initially I had the wrong Japanese BIOS, but I re-downloaded them, and got them again from another forum member. Still can’t get Mednafen Saturn to work on any Japanese ROMs yet.

Does anyone have any ideas? I’d gladly post a log or something, if someone could tell me how to do it.

I also tried dragging and dropping .cue files into the standalone version of Mednafen Saturn, and again, the US Darkwater dumps work fine, but I can’t get a Japanese one to load.

I had almost the exact same problem. There are a few versions of the JP BIOS, I would try downloading the JP BIOS from another source and giving it a go. That solved my issue.

Yep either your bios is bad, or it’s simply not named correctly.

I figured it out!

The standalone version of Mednafen created some sort of log file that I noticed, and I opened it up, and it said something about an error: missing sega_101.bin. So I went to emuparadise and downloaded it, extracted it, and got the standalone version working.

Then I just copied sega_101.bin to my retroarch system folder, and all is working!

I was under the impression based on a video that I saw by Lord Monkus that I only needed sega_100a.bin (Japanese) and mpr-17933.bin (American and Euro), but it was the sega_101.bin file that I needed.

Thanks everyone for your help (especially GemaH), I appreciate it!

Glad you got it sorted Typhon, as a hint, you can check which BIOS files you require and their md5 checksums for each core. After loading a core, go to Information/Core Information. It will tell you what the correct filenames should be and what versions you need. To verify, do an md5sum on the file and make sure it matches the hash provided in RetroArch.

(Most linux distros have md5sum installed, FreeBSD and OSX do as well)

$ md5sum [filename]

For Windows you can use FCIV or can probably get away with using md5summer

[QUOTE=Typhon;48066]I figured it out!

The standalone version of Mednafen created some sort of log file that I noticed, and I opened it up, and it said something about an error: missing sega_101.bin. So I went to emuparadise and downloaded it, extracted it, and got the standalone version working.

Then I just copied sega_101.bin to my retroarch system folder, and all is working!

I was under the impression based on a video that I saw by Lord Monkus that I only needed sega_100a.bin (Japanese) and mpr-17933.bin (American and Euro), but it was the sega_101.bin file that I needed.

Thanks everyone for your help (especially GemaH), I appreciate it![/QUOTE] Oh crap, I just went back and looked at the video and realized I only had the 100 bios file in there, my apologies for that. Glad you got it sorted though. I have updated my video now with an annotation correcting this.

I still have yet to find a clean running Saturn emulator. I don’t think a complete finished one exist. my only answer is that you will continue to run into problems until more people hop on the Saturn need for a clean running system. I am one, but i am no programmer. The core that i get to boot games is Yabause which is an stands for, Yet Another Buggy And Uncomplete Saturn Emulator. The Mednafen Saturn emulator i can not get to boot any Saturn games.

http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Yabause

On the Nightlies release of the 2nd October, changing Saturn game with Mednafen saturn core make retroarch crashe. Do you know if it has been corrected ? Thanks

Well, Mednafen Saturn is what you are looking for. It’s the most hassle free and compatible Saturn Emulator i used so far.

Not being able to make it run is most likely an error on your end. Try figuring it out and you will get your “clean running” Saturn emulator. It’s way better than Yabause.