Problems with RetroArch as a media/video player

I want to use RetroArch as a media player to watch 60fps longplay videos of old games. The reason is simply the shaders. No other player lets me use CRT shaders like that so RetroArch is the only way.

However, as a player, it’s not very good. In most videos i get stutters every few seconds, which doesn’t happen with any other player i use like Kodi, VLC or Potplayer. But the weirdest bug happens with some NES longplay videos… instead of a 60fps video, it frameskips 1 frame ever one second, complete with fade-in/fade-out transition effects over each frame.

Is there any chance for the video player capabilities to ever improve or is it a last priority thing? Just the fact that you can use CRT shaders and overlays makes RetroArch a unique video player so i think it needs to be better/more compatible since there are no other alternatives.

1 Like

What hardware are you running this on?

i5 4670, 16GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, Nvidia 1060 6GB, latest drivers (385.28). RetroArch version 1.6.7

Had the same issues with older RA builds as well and with my older GFX card (GTX 960 2GB).

Try running this video file in RetroArch. I get horrible frame skipping, although i don’t get the fade-in-out effects anymore:

We need hardware video decoding in order to make performance much faster. Right now it is resorting to software rendering for every video codec.

I got the same behavior here, but it seems to be a codec issue, as my CPU load never went about ~15% on any core. I guess the ffmpeg version we’re using doesn’t support h.264 highp10…?