Proper Cardboard & Other VR Support Feasibility

This shouldn’t necessarily be considered a ‘feature request’ - I know that the Libretro team works hard on a lot of features with a very small team, and I appreciate the efforts involved. I also know that there are SBS shaders (including the Virtual Boy hack I want to try!), though a better guideline on how to set them up would be helpful. (There’s also Trinus and similar, of course!) I know there are also threads about this, but I didn’t feel like necroing with a not-quite-relevant question.

This is more a question of whether it’s possible to implement native VR support in RetroArch, including the menus and with SDK-provided lens correction. It seems like it’s a natural direction to go in - with VR platforms only increasing in popularity, the idea of sitting back and playing some retro games with the flexibility, privacy, and immersion of a VR-driven screen (obviously not actual 3D, more of a ‘movie theatre’ type idea like Steam does) is pretty appealing to me. Cardboard is what I’m using, but other platforms seem more realistic.

Sorry if this sounds a little selfish - I’m not really prone to this kind of thing, normally. I also assume that outside developers (like this one or this one) can implement the API in VR-oriented setups, but the former isn’t general-purpose (cool as it is) and the latter seems to have stalled out completely (and doesn’t seem to support Android in any case).

[SUB]I need to look further into what Android emulators support Cardboard…I know there’s FPse and PPSSPP, at least.[/SUB]

Agreed! This is something that would make Retroarch even better.