PS1 Memory Cards

So, after digging around in the .cfg to figure this out, I found that Retroarch by default uses the “ROM” folder for everything. This is the reason why using a save state deletes your memory card and vice versa. For whatever reason Retroarch uses the same type of file for both. So, you can either change the memory card file type to .mfm, or do it the easy way and set a custom directory for both saves AND save states. Make sure they are separate folders. This will allow you to use both with no issues. Also, memory cards seem to be created per game. All of this is accomplished under the “Paths” tab of the RetroArch settings area. I only tested this with the PCSX ReARMed core, but it seems to work reliably.

Happy gaming.

So after doing research and coming up with absolutely nothing, I decided to dig around in the .cfg and figure out what was going on. I found that there are two solutions to get both memory cards and save states working properly. I’m editing the OP and adding a guide. Maybe sticky this? I saw a few other threads asking about this with zero answers/responses.