PS3 DUALSHOCK 3 Not Registering

First off. At the risk of sounding like a suck-up I would like to give major kudos to the developers who have made this incredible framework available for everyone. What's even more impressive is that it's free. I don't know who you are, but the women and men of this project deserve serious credit and respect.

Now.  I am using RetroArch on a 64 Bit Windows 10 laptop with a PS3 DUALSHOCK 3 controller. My laptop doesn't have Bluetooth so I just want to play with the controller connected via USB. I have done this on my Raspberry Pi 2 running Lakka with no problems. Unfortunately I am unable to attain the same success with my laptop. When I plug the controller in, the bottom says "Playstation(R)3 Controller(1356/616) not configured"

It has also said "Playstation(R)3 Controller(#0) not configured" though I'm not sure what the significance of the number is. I have searched many sources online and have gone to configure the input to bind the buttons but anything I press on the controller does not register in the emulator. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely, Brendan

[EDIT] P.S. I also just noticed that I have no sound. I don’t know what I’m supposed to type for “Audio Device” setting. I am searching for the solution now.

I believe most people who are using PS3 pads are using an Xinput wrapper, which gets the pad autoconfigured as soon as you plug it in.

Thank you. I will try it out and report back.

Thank you very much! I got it working. I was frustrated for a second because after installing the XInput all the tutorials I read said to just start the monitor and it should show the controller hooked up which it didn’t. I finally tried starting the server first and then it worked. I still have the sound issue though.

I did research and I can’t find a way to get sound. I’ve checked the Wiki which honestly has a more helpful Wiki on how to use the Wiki than it does actual how to content for the wiki. I searched Google and the forums with no luck. What am I supposed to type in for the Audio Device option?

Thanks again for all your help!

Sincerely, Brendan

It should use your default audio device and you shouldn’t need to do anything to RetroArch to make it happen. Is your default device anything weird?

No. I’m just on a laptop using the default speakers. Nothing special.