Psx and n64 much smoother!?

Hi,I booted the live disc of Lakka today,and played some games on the psx and n64 emulators.They felt surprisingly different.Not only from the other emus on pc but from original consoles as well. I did choose some speed related options like cpu overclocking and full speed options. Games run much smoother,like they are running at 60 fps.But they dont feel sped up.Nor they feel like there is so much frame skipping going on.But everything is buttery smooth and I really enjoy it cause it makes them feel much more modern and fun to me(I love high fps gameplay).I’m pretty sure it’s not my idea but I’d like to ask here if this is normal or its an anomaly of bad configuration.Because I thought that these games can’t get better fps from emulators.!

I’m not an expert on this subject too, but I have to agree with you, some cores, like Mednafen PSX and Mupen have this option to “lock” a game’s FPS so it will play smoother (not faster), I noticed that in the original games, there are lots of drops in FPS depending on the situation, and if you turn “overclock” or “full speed” ON, it will “lock” the FPS so we will feel it playing smoother, examples are Driver, Driver 2, Tomb Raider, I tested lots of PSX games with Overclock ON, this is just amazing.

PS - Driver and Driver 2 runs under 15-25 FPS, depending on the situation, I turned FPS display and internal FPS display ON, so when I “Overclocked” the game, it locked the game in 30 FPS, so the game played smooth as butter.

Yes it is amazing indeed.I can never go back to another emulator now!

Sure, when you get to know these features, there’s no turning back, I also just tried Mednafen Saturn, I hope we can upscale and overclock it like we do for PS and N64 now, like Reicast, even the preliminary releases are really promising.

Overclock will be great in Saturn because so many games (especially with 3d) have a terrible native framerate. Like Burning Rangers…

But upscale, I’m not sure. I just tried it in standalone Yabouse for Radiant Silvergun. It looks so weird to have sharp 3d next to all the blurry 2d sprites. I think it works better on PSX and N64 because they have less 2d mixed into their 3d games. Anyway, I’ll certainly be happy to have the option to upscale, I guess I just don’t expect much…