PSX Dynarec Core Pangu JB Update

Hello,

New member to these forums but have frequented them often for research and assistance. Earlier this year I was enjoying Retroarch on my iPhone 5S jailbroken on ios 7.0.4. In perusing the forums I became aware of the crash when attempting to launch the PSX ReArmed core on jailbroken 7.1.x devices. I reluctantly updated my phone to 7.1.2 and jailbroke on Pangu to resolve some stability issues. Since then, I have been hoping for a fix to this crash.

I have indeed tested the non JB core and it works at full speed but is such a battery hog. Does anyone have word if the upcoming Retroarch update will indeed resolve the dynarec crash issue on 7.1.x jailbroken 64-bit devices? From what I remember, only A7 devices were being affected by this crash.

Thank you for the assistance.

Not that I know of. I don’t think anyone has pinned down what’s causing the issue in the first place, so there’s no clue how to fix it. However, there’s the possibility that an iOS8 jailbreak will come out that will work without modification.

Thank you for the follow up. sigh I was hoping for some good news lol. Though inevitably ios 8 will be jailbroken eventually. I have seen on Twitter this morning that beta 1.0.0.3 should be out within a few days fingerscrossed.

Well, iOS 8 jb is out, and apparently it still doesn’t work on A7 devices.

What about A8 devices, does the same issue also affect the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus with Pangu Jailbreak (version 0.2)? Or is this a 64-bit issue?

[EDIT] It looks like the same crash also occurs on A8 devices.

Here are my current test results:

iPod touch 5th generation, A5 CPU, iOS 8.1, Pangu8 Jailbreak (updated to version 0.2) Runs fine on default PSX core

iPad Air, A7 CPU, iOS 7.1.2, Pangu7 Jailbreak Crashes when loading ISO with default PSX core

iPhone 6, A8 CPU, iOS 8.1, Pangu8 Jailbreak (updated to version 0.2) Crashes when loading ISO with default PSX core

It seems to be an issue only affecting 64bit devices (A7 and now A8). Its not an ios version or jailbreak (regarding using evasi0n or pangu) causing the issue, especially when A6 and lower devices are working fine with the pcsx rearmed core (with no crashing on the same firmware, with the same jailbreak methods being used). So it must be something with the code that only affects 64bit devices, it’s the same issue with ps3 controller pairing (through RetroArch) on these devices. Ps3 controller pairing works like a charm on A6 and lower devices, but when it comes to 64bit devices, it’s far from perfect and comes with many issues and bugs. Perhaps the devs don’t have access to a 64bit device to aid in pinpointing what’s causing the issues, I dunno… … though it would be a real shame too, if the new version of RA comes out and still has the pcsx rearmed core crashing on 64bit devices. I think that’s what RA really had going for it in regards to the ios port, psx emulation that worked amazing and crushed the only other alternative (psx4all) in cydia.

Yes, we can just use the interpreter psx core and ps1 games will work, and 64bit devices are powerful enough to run the games at full speed, though I have noticed that the performance isn’t as stable as it is with dynarec; also, say goodbye to your battery because it’s going to drain much faster.

Some people have reported that the issue is gone with the latest JB.

only for mupen64 crash gone!

desmume and pcsx still crashes in dynamic recompiler mode for 64 bits devices

Any news if there has been any update or proper work around for this? Games like FFIX seem to be unplayable on the interpreter psx core, for example the game completely freezes on any of the pre rendered cut scenes.

Can anyone chime in on this issue?