PSX Emulation Enhancement

Hi. Is there a way to enhance PSX emulation? Such as increasing the resolution to a factor of the PSX native resolution or to 1920x1080? Are there any other enhancements people use to make their games look better?

I’m using retroarch in Linux. I have both the mednafen and pcsx rearmed core. The mednafen wont load games for some reason though so I’m just using the pcsx rearmed core. Yes I have the bios but I’m not sure if they are in the right folder. pcsx rearmed locates the bios just fine.

On x86/64, you’ll want to use mednafen. pcsx-reARMed is only meant for ARM CPUs.

Load up the mednafen-psx core, then go to information > core information and it will list whether it finds your BIOS images or not. If not, make sure they’re named exactly the same as what it expects (case-sensitive) and that their checksums match. Also, mednafen-psx only works with bin/cue pairs (load the cue sheet, not the bin) and pbp images, so ISOs won’t work.

Once you get it going, there are core options to double/quadruple the internal res, though it’s very hard on the CPU.

I think most people (myself included) just use the normal post-processing shaders to improve the appearance.

OK I had to stop reading after your first sentence. On my x86/64 PCSX rearmed works fine.

[QUOTE=hunterk;48167]On x86/64, you’ll want to use mednafen. pcsx-reARMed is only meant for ARM CPUs.

Load up the mednafen-psx core, then go to information > core information and it will list whether it finds your BIOS images or not. If not, make sure they’re named exactly the same as what it expects (case-sensitive) and that their checksums match. Also, mednafen-psx only works with bin/cue pairs (load the cue sheet, not the bin) and pbp images, so ISOs won’t work.

Once you get it going, there are core options to double/quadruple the internal res, though it’s very hard on the CPU.

I think most people (myself included) just use the normal post-processing shaders to improve the appearance.[/QUOTE]

When I go to core information it says “no core information available.” I’m using .bin and .cure files for the game Xenogears.

[QUOTE=hunterk;48167]On x86/64, you’ll want to use mednafen. pcsx-reARMed is only meant for ARM CPUs.

I think most people (myself included) just use the normal post-processing shaders to improve the appearance.[/QUOTE]

The checksum for my 5502 bios dont match…

All of the checksums now match. medna-psx core still wont loada game

Figured it out. Added .cue and .CUE <extension> section of es_systems.cfg and loaded the .cue file.
I was trying to load the .bin before…

But I still can’t change the internal resolution

I tried editing retroarch-core-options.cfg to change the internal resolution since there is an option to change the IR in that file. beetle_psx_internal_resolution = “1x(native)”

But after I load a game it changes the setting back to “1x(native)” no matter what I change it to.

Was RetroArch running when you edited the file? If so, it will overwrite your changes every time.

If you can get games loaded via mednafen/beetle-psx, go back into the menu and go to ‘options’ in the ‘quick menu’. The internal resolution options are in there.

I restarted my computer, changed the setting in the file, and now it sticks. I was running MGS in 4x native resolution and guess what. It runs like crap. Now to try 2x.

[QUOTE=hunterk;48209]Was RetroArch running when you edited the file? If so, it will overwrite your changes every time.

If you can get games loaded via mednafen/beetle-psx, go back into the menu and go to ‘options’ in the ‘quick menu’. The internal resolution options are in there.[/QUOTE]

Is there anyway to make PSX emulation look tolerable? I can set the resolution to 2x and set shader value from “false” to "true in mednafen_psx_hw_libretro.so.cfg

Is there some way to get other shaders?

Yes, there are postprocessing shaders available in the quick menu’s ‘shaders’ submenu. If you’re using increased internal resolution, you can use the ‘3d’ shader presets in the ‘xbr’ directory. Personally, I prefer keeping it in native res and using a CRT shader.

Thank you but I think you referred to this “quick menu” before and I don’t think I have that. When I open retroarch I don’t see anything about shaders. I have a shaders folder that’s empty.

And I downloaded shaders by loading my core, going to online updater, and then “update gssl shaders” They are in my shaders folder anyways…

Installed shaders through my linux distro and I now have the quick menu and shaders you spoke of… Thanks again

HunterK: Do you recommend a specific shader?

It depends on your GPU but crt-lottes is pretty universally liked (the multipass version is usable on even pretty weak systems). Crt-easymode is another good one. I like all of them for different reasons, so I recommend just trying them out and seeing which one(s) suit your tastes.

Thanks again. I’m going to move over to the shader forum and post a screenshot of crt-lottes which looks really weird on my system

we should not need the cue file at all. epsxe does need it. convert bin to iso and it would be easier…