PSX netplay

Hello !

First off, thanks for developing RetroArch, it’s an amazing software. I stumbled upon it while searching for PSX netplay solutions.

A friend and I have been trying to play PSX games together with the latest RetroArch (v1.0.0.2) 64-bit and the Mednafen core provided in the v1.0.0.2 core pack. After setting up the netplay options, the connection seems to work (we can see eachother’s nicknames on the overlay) but the program immediately crashes, with a typical Windows crash (“RetroArch has stopped working…”).

Launching the game without netplay works like a charm on both sides.

We are both on Windows 8.1, with administrator rights, open ports, same bios, same ISO. We didn’t change any other parameter that could cause incompatibilities.

Are we doing something wrong ?

Netplay is rollback based (ie, relies on savestates) Mednafen from the 1.0.0.2 release didn’t support save states, you might have better luck with the builds from the buildbot

Ah, that makes sense !

I am not familiar with “buildbot”, though. What is it ?

Edit : nevermind, I somehow missed the big “Buildbot” link at the top.

It [EDIT:might; I haven’t tested it] work with the latest git of the “beetle”-psx core, but analogs don’t work over netplay, so you’ll be confined to pre-dual shock games.

We’re mostly trying to play Legend of Mana together, think it’ll be a problem ?

I’ve found the git for the beetle psx core, but is there any compiled version available ? All I need is a .dll file, right ?

http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/

Get the ‘cores’ package for your OS/architecture and it should be in there.

Should I get a corresponding RetroArch build or can I use the nightly build of cores with my actual version ?

Alright, got the latest nightly build + cores unpacked, configured and all. I’m getting the same exact crash as with v1.0.0.2.

Could it be an issue with the memory card format or anything like that ? Because I didn’t configure any of that.

You should try with the latest RA too. Also a verbose log would be helpful, run RA with --verbose --menu