PSX/PS1 Save States, Multiple Disk Games, Windows 64 bit

I have always emulated through Raspberry Pi. I recently downloaded the newest version of ReatroArch, released Aug 21, 2017 for windows 64 bit. One of the first systems I experimented with was PSX. I transfered Star Ocean 2 over along with my saved data. The game loaded fine and I was able to load from my old saved data after some trial an error. Mainly because my saved data was on disk 2 and swapping disks isn’t exactly the same as the retroarch on the pi. The menu was the same , but my normal steps didn’t apply here. Even though I eventually got it to load, I still don’t know the exact steps I did to get it to work. On the raspberry Pi you could also use save states with button combinations, not sure if you can in retroarch, so I did it through the retroarch menu. The problem I ran into here was when I went to load the save state, it loaded, but then through up a disk error that the disk tray was open. I opened up the retroarch menu, went to the disk options, and instead of letting me fix it, it just said null where it should of said the disk #. No matter what I tried nothing fixed this issue.

I am new to this and only have been playing with this since yesterday so maybe I just don’t know what I am doing? I play a lot of RPGs so I know there are multiple games that I look forward to playing that have multiple disks. Any info on the correct steps to load disks, and to the bigger problem how how to get save states to load properly on multiple disk games? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

The Beetle-PSX core(s) that are used on x86/64 platforms are much pickier about things than the PCSX-ReARMed core that’s used on ARM platforms. It seems that currently the best way to handle multi-disc games is to create and m3u playlist (which is really just a text file with a separate line for each of your cue sheets) and then you can point RetroArch at that cue sheet and just open/close the tray when you want to switch discs.

I haven’t actually played any multi-disc PS1 games in a long time, so if anyone else has any advice, feel free to chime in.

Thanks for the response, but I’m using PBP files for my roms, so no bins or cues. Just 1 File for the entire multi-disk rom. Maybe that’s my issue. I’ll test out a multi-disk bin/cue game. Will just take a little while to test because I need to get to disk 2 before I can test the save states.