PSX Retroarch not keeping saves

Hi all,

I’ve had Retroarch setup for a week or so and have only just got round to actually playing some games. I loaded up Metal Gear Solid and decided to use the games in-built save facility rather than save states.

All was working fine. Created a new game, played it for a few minutes and then saved it. Quit out using a joypad combination and had some lunch. About an hour or so later I launch the same game and the saves aren’t appearing. If I look in C:\Hypersin there are two .mcr files:

Metal Gear Solid.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.0.mcr and Metal Gear Solid.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.1.mcr

I can’t seem to find any .srm files anywhere (interestingly, about a minute after i made this post the .srm file appeared in the same place as the two .mcr files). Still unable to load the save game though.

I have googled quite a bit but can’t seem to find a solution. Apparently turning on ‘save sorting’ can help. The save_directory in both retroarch.cfg and Sony Playstation.cfg is set to "C:\Hypersin. I can’t seem to find this feature though.

Other core save games work perfectly. I’m running Retroarch 1.1. Mednafen PSX v0.9.36.5.

Any help would be absolutely brilliant as I’m just about pull what little hair I have left out of my head.

Cheers

David

hmm. u are using quite old retroarch and the core. alot has happened to them since. in any case, you should consult you frontend site as to how they are using the configs since most of them tend to want to setup stuff their own ways.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

What would the procedure be for updating the mednafen core? Do I just drop it into the core folder and have it overweight the existing core?

Thanks again.

So I have installed Retroarch 1.7.1 and downloaded the Mednafen core. Put the BIOS files into the new Retroarch directory and loaded up the game. After playing for a while I saved it, came back out and tried to load it, couldn’t find it.

Now, all this is happening when using Hyperspin as the frontend. If I simply open Retroarch and load the core and game manually I can see the save game. Bizarre. Or maybe it isn’t and I’m just missing a setting somewhere.

It’s making me want to try Launchbox instead if I’m honest. What’s strange is that other core games save and load just fine.