Psx running pretty slow. it's my hardware the problem?

Hello. This is my first interactions in this forum. Sorry by the possibles mistakes. I compile the libretro cores in ubuntu server 14.10, and ran with success a lot of emulators, but one of my favorite system is running very slow. The PSone. My system is a Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, with 3 GB of Ram and a Quadro NVS 140 as Graphic card. I would like to know if there’s some software configuration to improve the performance of psx emulator or my hardware is just low.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

It is your hardware, you are roughly in the same boat as me: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2544

I am currently experimenting with getting the dynamic recompiler of pcsx-reloaded for x86 (32/64 bit) into pcsx-rearmed. That looked more promising than porting pcsx-reloaded to reatroarch as a whole, but I am only at the beginning. This should give a good performance boost, and maybe we have luck :smiley:

It is interesting that ePSXe lists its minimum system requirements as a “Pentium 200 Mhz”, pretty funny.

Why you don’t use PPA ? In Nightly/Testing PPA, you have all cores already compiled for Ubuntu, last git version.

What core are you using? PCSX_ReARMed or beetle PSX ?

PCSX_ReARMed is little bit slow even in my core i7 haswell. Try Beetle or Mednafen core.

Edit: I tried now, it runs well, but sound is a little bit weird/buggy, I mistook the issue :stuck_out_tongue:

That is interesting, because beetle/PSX should be way slower, it is certainly more CPU intensive.

ufopaper, Thanks for the answer, i’m a bit sad now ;/ I’m working on build an arcade with an old laptop lenovo T61 now, and I’m desappointed now, to have to leave the Playstation one out of my project. I think it’s a little weird cause the Mupen64 ran some nintendo64 roms quite good, and the psx can’t get the same performance Anyway thanks for the clarification

sergio-br2, I’m neophyte in the business of linux emulation, and I didn’t know about the PPA, the only way that i did know is by compiling.

I found this strange, the bid of the low performance of PSX, because before I could emulate psx at 60 fps, on an AMD Sempron, with a very weak GeForce offboard, but in a windows environment.

Thanks for answers

Except if your geforce is more than 10 years old, your quatro 140 is probably weaker. By the way, you switched to proprietary nvidia drivers or stayed with open-source drivers (“nouveau”) ? I think the later is default on ubuntu.

Mednafen/Beetle-PSX doesn’t have a MIPS-to-x86/_64 dynamic recompiler (aka dynarec), which saves the PC from having to interpret the PSX-native code/calls manually, so all of that is being done directly on the CPU. Mupen64plus and many of the other PSX emulators, such as ePSXe and PCSX-r, have such a dynarec, so they run faster. PCSX-ReARMed has a MIPS-to-ARM dynarec, but that doesn’t do us any good on x86/_64, which is why it runs very slowly there but fast on phones and Raspberry Pis.

If you want to see the difference such a dynarec makes, you can switch over to an interpreter core with the Mupen64plus core via the core options.

Some folks are working on porting PCSX-r’s MIPS-to-x86/_64 dynarec to Mednafen/Beetle-PSX, but there’s no guarantee that it’ll work or how soon it will be usable if it does.

Yea, me too.

It’s because of the dynamic recompiler: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-blog-Int … ompilation

There is a PSX recompiler in PCSX-reloaded which is sadly not available in pcsx-rearmed, this could give a speed boost of up to 100%, so if you are in the 40+ FPS range there is hope.

Hi, now i’m trying to overclock my Nvidia Quadros 140m, but again is popping some issues :confused:

It is highly unlikely that the bottleneck is your graphics card, your CPU is too slow.

I was having problems with it running so very choppy on my i5 3750k OC at 4.5Ghz. Considering Mednafen PSX core runs good on a Raspberry Pi 2 which is although a different architecture it still doesn’t compare, so knew it wasn’t my CPU. Problem ended up being in Settings-Video Options then enable threaded video. Hope this helps!

You shouldn’t need threaded video on PC Mednafen-PSX runs full speed for me in an i5-2500k, actually it runs at about 180fps unthrottled. If you have pops and crackles in that core enable CD-image cache

[QUOTE=Radius;21025]You shouldn’t need threaded video on PC Mednafen-PSX runs full speed for me in an i5-2500k, actually it runs at about 180fps unthrottled. If you have pops and crackles in that core enable CD-image cache[/QUOTE]

That was the first option I tried, figured it was because of the red book audio tracks in the game I was playing(Ridge Racer Revolution) and it didn’t work for me. It’s wasn’t just the audio but the whole game was running like crap but now found out it was that the vsync option was enabled. Thanks for the info helped me find the true problem :slight_smile:

vsync should always be enabled… that’s the whole thing about RA, superior A/V sync that standalone emulators… I actually play with vsync and hard gpu sync-

Any help would be appreciated as to why its running so slow unless I have vsync disabled.

usual culprits:

• rewind
  • vsync swap interval > 1
  • hard gpu sync
  • shaders

What is your monitor refresh rate? I had the same problem until I changed the refresh rate of my monitor to be as close to 60 as possible, for some resultions my monitor offered ~75.

Can anyone confirm this? So an ARMv7 900Mhz is faster than a Pentium J-2900 BayTrail 2.4 GHz ? I think I underestimated ARM

It’s not faster than Pentium. It uses ARM dynarec which is not available for x86. The same story as with mupen64plus. Dynarec greatly improves emulation speed.

[QUOTE=kalehrl;21103]It’s not faster than Pentium. It uses ARM dynarec which is not available for x86. The same story as with mupen64plus. Dynarec greatly improves emulation speed.[/QUOTE] I thought Mednafen has no dynarec, neither ARM nor x86. I know this is true for PCSX-rearmed, but I dont think it’s true for Mednafen. As soon as I can find the time, I will try looking into getting the dynarec from pcsxr into pcsx-rearmed, however, my lack of understanding PSX internals might make this a longer task. :smiley:

I thought Mednafen has no dynarec

You’re right.