Purpose of "Configuration Per-Core" setting?

Rather puzzling, this has never actually done anything for me in any version of RetroArch.

To reproduce:

[ol] [li]Turn on “Configuration Per-Core”[/li][li]Load a core[/li][li]Change settings (such as Save Directory)[/li][li]Exit RetroArch (to save settings)[/li][/ol]

What I expect to happen:

RetroArch would use global settings, and loading a core would override those globals based on the changes I made while the core was loaded.

What actually happens:

All changes I make only seem to affect the global config, retroarch.cfg, affecting all cores.

The workaround I’ve been using is to make separate config files for each emulator and manage those by-hand, which I learned from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHXyGK9DNX4

But this feels wrong, and like something RA could manage handily.

That’s basically how it’s supposed to work, except it doesn’t override, it just loads the entire config. Dunno why it’s not working for you.

The config overrides that were added recently should do pretty much exactly what you’re wanting.

Thanks a lot hunterk, I really appreciate your help. Could I ask you how overrides work? Or if this feature is documented anywhere?

Radius added it. He wrote some stuff about it here: http://blog.andressm.org/new-retroarch-features-2/

Darn, can’t get it to work. Tried several times to get save paths to auto change upon loading content, following the procedure laid out in the blog post. No dice.

After that post was made the option to load override files was disabled by default. You can enable it in Settings, Configuration Settings, Load Override Files Automatically. You also have to disable Configuration Per-Core, since that will disable overrides.

Cross my legs and call me Sally, I had both enabled. Well, that worked. Thanks so much guys; this is a really slick way to use RetroArch.

I think enabling per-core should turn off override toggle (and vice-versa) to avoid this mishap in the future.