Raspberry Pi4 Questions

I have a 4gb version of the Raspberry Pi4. Currently I am running a nightly build version of Retropie on this. I am having some issues and wondering if I should switch to Lakka. I don’t know if the issues are related to Retropie as an O.S. or emulation in general on the Pi4. I have asked there but gotten no resolution. I will state the issues I am currently having and would like to know if Lakka would fix these. While I like their front end, it is not a big deal to me if the actual games work.

1. N64 emulation doesn’t work. Currently my n64 games have issues with both audio and video. They are slow, choppy, and don’t line up.
  2. DosBox starts to black screen and I cannot seem to change it. I would like to run some old DOS games, like Oregon Trail, but the DosBox emulator just boots to black screen.
  3. Even with the appropriate drivers, my Xbox One controllers will not pair with Bluetooth. Below are a few things I have determined are must haves a) Kodi. I want to utilize the 4K 6hz output of the Pi4 b) Bluetooth game controller. Brand, type, style doesn’t matter as long as it works. c) The ability to have Roms and media on separate, attached USB drives. I currently have 1 – 2TB HDD with the roms attached and it is working well. I will be attaching my 5TB HDD media drive. If Lakka will fix 1 & 2 while meeting a – c, I will be installing it. If it works, is it easy to switch between Kodi and Lakka? Is there a guide for this installation?

Unless something has changed fairly recently, switching between Lakka and Kodi is not easy. However, Lakka should run from a USB drive if you want to check it out and/or keep kodi installed and just plug in lakka when you want to use it.

Running from USB is probably your best bet for answering your other questions, as well.

I have that 2tb drive attached already. Am I correct in thinking that I can run Lakka from it and use it store the games?

I believe you’ll wipe all of the data on the drive as part of the flashing process, but as long as you don’t mind that, I think it will work.