Reading and Learning - BIG question I need help

Happy to be here and hello everyone

I have a cabinet that I’d like to introduce to retroarch and move away from all the diff emulators.

I have a xarcade usb tankstick. I am pulling my hair out trying to configure this thing. I think I understand how to do this

1. Open the retroarch.config file and make my changes. I’ve got a very detailed writeup on what to change BUT, when I change it, it never saves it, it always reverts back to the original config.

What am I doing wrong here, I’ve watched videos and read everything and I still can’t get this right. I just want to setup my xarcade tankstick properly with retroarch.

And also, why does retro arch run the roms STUPID fast? I am quite confused about this as well.

Many thanks in advance

2.) this is almost always a problem with vsync. Either you disabled at some point (probably by hitting the spacebar, which is the default hotkey for vsync toggle) or because you have it forced off in your GPU’s driver control panel. If you can’t track down what’s screwing with your vsync, the alternative is to go into settings > frame throttle and set the maximum run speed to 1.0x.

1.) I don’t have a tankstick but I do have an I-PAC, which is similar in that it presents itself as a USB keyboard with your buttons mapped to MAME’s default mapping. RetroArch reads the cfg on launch and stores it in memory, then it writes what’s in memory back to file on exit. So, if RetroArch is open while you’re making your edits, they won’t take effect and will be reverted as soon as you exit. My guess is that this is what’s happening. Note: MAME’s defaults conflict with many of RetroArch’s default hotkeys, so you’ll need to identify those conflicts and either change them to something else or set them to “nul”.

Ok cool.

So how should I edit and save the config file then? I don’t want to keep doing this. Is there anyway to permanently edit the default config?

Im trying to duplicate this fellows triumphs: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2852

Unless there is an easier way? I make the changes everytime in the config file. Save it , close it and reopen it to make sure it’s saving… It saves.

Then I open retroarch and it automatically deletes my changes and reverts back to the default.

Should I just use the bind all function?? Or how can I permanantly save my config?

Do you have per-core configs enabled? That’s the only thing I could think that might be causing issues. If so, disable it and use the config override function instead.

I’ll have a look tonight at it. I’m guessing those options are all together in the same area?

yeah, settings > configuration