Really confused about Core Configs

Okay, I have now been messing with this for like two days, simply trying to set core configs. There are so many config files that I get confused to which is what, also there is no way other than “auto” to save a config except as a new file.

To simplify my question I will talk about one simple process I am trying to do and how I thought it should behave but what is happening. We will assume starting from a new 1.2.2 install.

First I open Retroarch. I’d like to set some default settings for Retroarch so I make some video changes: Full Screen: On Full Screen Window: Off

I also would like to change the wallpaper so I set one of those as well. I also make sure Auto save and Per Core config are ON.

Now I don’t know how to save my settings manually so I QUIT Retroarch to make it autosave. I confirm it saved by having the default “retroarch.cfg” open in Notepad++ which notifies me the file has been changed. So I know it has been saved.

Next I want to setup SNES9x Next and specific video and other settings for it. I load the core, at this point I have tend to realized if I don’t load content that it seems not to edit the proper config (not sure if that is correct or not???). So I load content and run it, now I hit F1 to edit my options.

I change my aspect ratio and some other settings, and do my input. Now I quit Retroarc again to autosave.

Here is where I get confused, both Retroarch.cfg AND Snes9x Next dll.cfg have changed. WHY did the main retroarch config change ??? When it does this it always reverts my original settings to something else such as my wallpaper. So I am really confused on how to properly setup multiple configs and how to properly save.

I have seen in some tutorial videos that someone hits “Save New Config” after making their first changes in a new Core, but I believe when doing this the same thing happens.

Lastly, when I LOAD a core in the menu, should the appropriate CFG file automatically load and should it show it down at the bottom under Load Configuartion? Or does it juts load it but doesn’t tell me…

I hope this post isn’t too confusing but I am frustrated to the point of quitting Retroarch but I think it is worth it to learn it and figure it out.

(Maybe some settings are GLOBAL no matter what, like wallpaper? Also even when I click DON’T SAVE configs on exit, it does.)

Hello, I’m a newbie too, but I will try to help you.

Now I don’t know how to save my settings manually so I QUIT Retroarch to make it autosave. I confirm it saved by having the default “retroarch.cfg” open in Notepad++ which notifies me the file has been changed. So I know it has been saved.

You can save your configuration with the “save new config” option on the main screen.

Here is where I get confused, both Retroarch.cfg AND Snes9x Next dll.cfg have changed. WHY did the main retroarch config change ??? When it does this it always reverts my original settings to something else such as my wallpaper. So I am really confused on how to properly setup multiple configs and how to properly save.

Saving mutliple config is called “overrides”. Don’t ask me how it works, I’m lost for the moment.

However, try this:

-Download a core you want. -Select this core. -Go to settings, then directory, then filebrowser and select the folder where your roms are. -Go on the main menu, then select “add content”, then “scan directory”. It will scan the folder where your roms are. -Once the scan is finished, you must see a SNES pad logo at the top. -Go on it, select a game, then launch it. -Hit F1: select the shader you want, then close (via the quick menu) and go back to the main menu, quit RA. Normally, it will save you config, and next time, it will launch flawlessly your core with the right option.

I’m a bit lost with the core config. I’m pretty sure you will have to deal with the “overrides” stuff: http://blog.andressm.org/new-retroarch-features-2/

I’m trying to use Gambatte (GB emulator) to use with Game Boy game and shaders, and Game Boy color games and specific shaders. And I failed miserably.

Yeah you were right. I got Overrides working now, but the issue I had is I have no clue what to name the override files. Nestopia, it had to be called Nestopa. But now trying to do for Snes9x Next, which is snes9x_next_libretro.dll, I don’t know the file name. Very confusing that there’s no way to know what “name” the override/retroarch expects you to use???

I was able to figure out “Snes9x Next” is the appropriate name for that one…but still…is there a list of the proper names so I don’t have to trial and error every time???

I’m not 100% sure on this but I think it’s the name that appears in the bottom-left of the screen after you load a core.

Yeah but it lists a huge long name like for instance Nestopia was called “Nestopia UE” or something but had to be named “Nestopia” and Snes9x Next shows like “Snes9x Next v1.42” or something similar…so it’s a bit confusing :slight_smile: I am sure I will sort it out, at least it’s working hah.

I must confess I had this issue trying to get overrides working and it was pretty much trial and error. More annoyingly is that I’ve had at least one core change the name it expected when it got updated (I can’t remember which off the top of my head, I just messed around until I got it right again). Perhaps the override folder name should be shown with the core info or at least on the wiki?