Recording video not working with some cores 1.7.3

Hi everyone,

I’ve been trying to record videos with RetroArch, using the --record path_to_video.mkv parameter.

It’s been working well with mgba, snes9x2010 and nestopia, but has been failing with parallel_n64, mupen64plus and genesis_plus_gx .

With gensis_plus_gx there is a file generated, but it fails to actually record. With mupen64plus and parallel_n64 there is no file generated.

Does anybody have any experiences with this?

Are you using GPU screenshots/recording? That wouldn’t affect genplusgx, AFAIK, but it would have an effect on the hardware-accelerated cores, I think.

I haven’t been using GPU recording, specially because I want to record the material if possible at native resolution.

Genesis recording still doesn’t work with GPU recording.

N64 recording with both cores does work, but the performance is abysmal when I make the window bigger than 2x of native.

Yeah, those framebuffers get quite large. If you have the CPU grunt for it, you should be able to use non-GPU recording with N64 using the angrylion gfx plugin, since it’s software-rendered.

Can you get a log of a genplusgx failure? Is it just blackscreen for however long it’s supposed to be? or is it like a 0 kb file?

Oof, got a Core i5-8600k here, but angrylion at 960x720 just kills the performance entirely, seems to be using only one thread, so that doesn’t help.

What’s the best method to obtain logs for the problem? The video file is as long as it’s supposed to be, there is no sound and a black screen. It’s a tiny file, I guess pure black is very easy to compress :slight_smile:

Angrylion should always run at 640x480. It doesn’t support higher internal resolutions. Dunno if that would affect your performance. It should be able to use more threads, though…

Yeah, black with no audio is indeed easy to compress :stuck_out_tongue: You can find directions for getting a log here: https://docs.libretro.com/guides/generating-retroarch-logs/

I tried Angrylion with 640x480 , reduced the gpu accuracy to low as well, just for testing, still not really acceptable :frowning:

Here is a log file for genplusgx: https://pastebin.com/dmG45wyq

To me it seems like there are no obvious errors regarding the video recording.

this looks a bit suspect:

[INFO] Recording to D:\output2.mkv @ 256x192. (FB size: 720x576 pix_fmt: 0)

Not sure what can be done about it, though.

When I record SNES it says

Recording to D:\output2.mkv @ 256x224. (FB size: 512x512 pix_fmt: 0)

and works fine. I also tried if different window sizes had any impact, doesn’t seem like it. With recording active the genplusgx actually crashes occasionally on startup. Nothing special about that in the log though.