Reicast Android (Shield TV) performance regression?

Hi,

I had briefly tried Reicast with RA 1.7.4 end of August. All games I tried were runing full speed AFAIR at default Internal Resolution (640x480) on a Nvidia Shield TV. Latest RA and Reicast Core doesn’t seem to run almost any game full speed… Not sure if my memory is betraying me but i was pretty sure Crazy Taxi was full speed. Now , start an arcade game, gets me around 40-50 fps, depending on scene, music skipping like crazy. Threaded rendering increases speed and fixes music but seems to introduce lots of frameskipping so game is not smooth at all.

Has anybody experienced this? Somebody here with a Shield could confirm this and the expected speed Crazy Taxy (just an example) should be running? This all default settings, 640x480, no shaders … Any setting or combination of settings I should take into consideration? Thanks!

I am following the Reicast core development, as since the October releases my CHDs v4 got broken. The last release they made fixes this (v4s and v5s not running), but the games are running with stuttering (and in my case I am having issues with the override core feature that is not storing anything at all in this release). Just in case, Im on PC, but I have read of several Android users having problems with their CHDs and GDIs as well.

I am currently using the latest September release as it is the best one since this whole mess started (only downside is that it does not have mouse and keyboard support).

Thanks for the info. Not that easy to go backwards in Android unfortunately, I would need to root the Shield… I’d rather wait for some update …

Just for my peace of mind, I tried Reicast standalone r8.1. Fullspeed with room to spare, disabling frame limit, makes the game fly at 2 times the normal speed or more … Not sure what is wrong with Reicast Core in RA. Updated core again and deleted all settings, still too slow…

1 Like

This core never worked well for me.