Reicast does not use the "video_driver = gl" setting on core override

Hi,

My main retroarch.cfg file uses vulkan as video driver, which works for software rendering cores like nestopia, gambatte, bsnes-mercury etc.

But Reicast needs OpenGL because it does not seem to support Vulkan. I can get it to work if I change “video_driver = gl” in retroarch.cfg main config file, but I would like it better to put it in the reicast.cfg core override file. The file has been created by Retroarch and some settings are saved in it, but if I try to put “video_driver = gl” in the file, it is not used and Retroarch crashes because it still tries to use Vulkan (as specified in main retroarch.cfg file) for the Reicast core. Is this a known bug ?

It’s not a bug as such. RetroArch would need to completely tear down and restart for the driver change to work, and that doesn’t happen with overrides. It should work if you’re using a launcher like Hyperspin, I think, but not if RetroArch is already running.

One time when I was messing around with Vulkan, I launched PPSSPP and it worked fine, even though it’s a GL core. I had Vulkan set as my video driver in retroarch.cfg and nothing overriding that in my PPSSPP config. It even said it was using Vulkan in XMB, but I could tell it was actually GL because the ribbon looks nicer (less aliased I think) in GL :stuck_out_tongue:

I see, thanks for your answer Hunterk. I think the simplest is to use OpenGL for everything then.

For me even that doesn’t work. If the default is OpenGL and the override is Vulkan (or vice versa), even after RA was closed, it will crash after you load a game.

The only way i managed to fix this (without changing it every time manually) is to have two separate RetroArch setups. One with OpenGL as default and another with Vulkan. Then you select the one you want through RocketLauncher/LaunchBox.

[QUOTE=GemaH;48764]For me even that doesn’t work. If the default is OpenGL and the override is Vulkan (or vice versa), even after RA was closed, it will crash after you load a game.

The only way i managed to fix this (without changing it every time manually) is to have two separate RetroArch setups. One with OpenGL as default and another with Vulkan. Then you select the one you want through RocketLauncher/LaunchBox.[/QUOTE]

if you’re using RocketLauncher just use a full Systemname.cfg or corename.cfg instead of overrides.

Thanks, i’ll try those suggestions.