Remapping menu hotkey has caused retroarch to become unusable

So Ive set up retroarch on my girlfriends Mac, and games and everything else were running just fine in full HD. I thought it’d be easier to map the menu toggle to the home button of the Xbox one controller we use for retroarch, but as soon as I pressed the button to assign it the controls stopped working all together. Retroarch now frozen, I force quit it and reopen it and the controls are working just fine, but the main menu is running at like 15 frames and at half speed and the input from my controller is lagging quite a lot. Games are running insanely slow and completely unplayable. I changed the menu toggle back to only escape and restarted retroarch and then the computer itself and it’s still running horribly. I know I changed absolutely nothing else other than the hotkey bind and have even triple checked to make sure. I’ve restarted multiple times and I’m not sure what to do since reverting the change that caused the problem fixed nothing. if someone could tell me why this happens and how to solve it, it would be much appreciated.

I don’t know why that would have happened, but the easiest fix is probably to move your retroarch.cfg file somewhere else and let it create a new one from scratch.