Remote Control

What’s the current best way of remote controlling RetroArch?

For example, if used in a home theater setup, how do you control play/stop/forward/reverse?

I’ve spent some time on it and here are three ways I’ve found that do not work.

• Keyboard Injection, for example from EventGhost. Not sure why it doesn’t work with RetroArch but it doesn’t.
  • UDP network commands (port 55355). It seems to be mostly defunct. MUTE works but none of the transport commands do. Also the predefined commands do not match what’s available in the GUI (skip 10s/60s).
  • Remote Retropad also wouldn’t work at all. I tried a bunch of things and then finally googled and found this thread which seems to confirm that it’s broken.

So… Those are three ways that don’t work. I’m looking for the way that does. What is the intended way of remote controlling these days?

Is there another network protocol? A local plugin API? A hidden set of windows messages I can post? I’m a programmer, whatever it is I’m sure I can make use of it.

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Hey, not all at once! :wink:

Hmm, not sure why keyboard injection wouldn’t work. I know people use autohotkey for similar stuff.

1 Like

I didn’t think of autohotkey! I’ve tried it, and it works. Ugly as hell (calling a 700 KB EXE just to simulate a keystroke) but it works.

Example AutoHotKey script:

#NoEnv
SendMode Input

Send, {left down}
Sleep 100
Send, {left up}
return