Replacing Steam version with standalone RetroArch

(Edit: To clarify, I meant overwriting the Steam version with the content from standalone version. I leave the original post intact, as the reply is about the original post.)

Someone suggested to download standalone RetroArch and overwrite with it the contents of the Steam installed RetroArch version to get the internal updater. And he claims that the Steam Cloud still works. Is this true? I have my doubts, because the standalone version does not have the Steam functionality builtin. Would anyone who knows this clarify this, please?

It’s the other way around. Install the Steam version and then overwrite it with the non-Steam one. But yeah, everything Steam-y still works in that case, but IIRC it will eventually auto-update and you’ll have to replace it again to get the online updater back.

I understand that. But my question is, how can Steam Cloud still work when its written over with the non Steam version? I know that some Steam functionality is independent from the executable of the game. But there are things that need to be built into the executable to get certain Steam functionality. And Steam Cloud is one of those I thought.

AFAIK, Steam Cloud just looks at directories and syncs files that we allow/disallow through our Steamworks account/interface. It doesn’t depend on the executable for any of that.

1 Like