Resolving Donkey Kong 64/Banjo Tooie Issues?

Hello, I wasn’t sure where to post this so I’m going to drop this here.

On the wiki it states the Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo Tooie aren’t working.

http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Nintendo_N64_Core_Compatibility#cite_note-1

For Donkey Kong 64 the issue is related to the Mupen64 core but it says that changing"VI Clock Factor to 1" will help resolve this issue.

I am using Retro Arch on windows and I have no idea where to go to change these settings. Could someone please direct me!

For Banjo Tooie the freezing is caused by imperfect CIC-6105 chip emulation, but there is a version of the ROM released that removed the CIC chip protection pretty recently so the game would work with flash carts on the N64. Would using this version of the ROM solve this issue?

Thanks!

You could try that hacked Banjo ROM to see if it helps. Let us know if it does :slight_smile:

Would you happen to know wow frequent the freezing is? I would have no problem playing for a hour or so, but IIRC when I encountered freezing with Banjoe Tooie on Project64 way back it didn’t happen until I got at least half way thru the game.

The VI Clock Factor is already set to 1 within the Mupen core, the note states that this helps but doesn’t fully resolve the warping issue. The CPU emulation needs to be vastly improved for this to be fixed.

Banjo-Tooie freezes randomly when you switch to another area, I think the chance for this to happen is about 5-10% from my experience.

[QUOTE=Oggom;20562]The VI Clock Factor is already set to 1 within the Mupen core, the note states that this helps but doesn’t fully resolve the warping issue. The CPU emulation needs to be vastly improved for this to be fixed.

Banjo-Tooie freezes randomly when you switch to another area, I think the chance for this to happen is about 5-10% from my experience.[/QUOTE]

I see. What are the chances of this being fixed? It seems like it’s impossible to play Donkey Kong 64 with any emulator without kind of huge issue because of they way it was programmed. I’m unable to swing from the vines in the first level and have already run into problems with it.

And cool, I’ll do some Banjo Tooie testing tonight and let you guys know how it goes.

The entire Mupen64 codebase is a huge mess and N64 emulator development is pretty much dead at this point. It’s a miracle that DK64 even runs on a real N64, even Nintendo gave up on making it work on their Virtual Console emulator. Maybe some day someone will get it to work, but it’s probably not going to happen any time soon.

[QUOTE=Oggom;20567]The entire Mupen64 codebase is a huge mess and N64 emulator development is pretty much dead at this point. It’s a miracle that DK64 even runs on a real N64, even Nintendo gave up on making it work on their Virtual Console emulator. Maybe some day someone will get it to work, but it’s probably not going to happen any time soon.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, thanks for the insight.

I’ve been playing Banjo Tooie for a good couple hours now trying to force a freeze with the original ROM and I’m not even able to do that so far. Really strange.

I’m trying to load DK64 but it crashes after the Nintendo logo…

Is this a known issue?