RetroArch 1.3.0 Wii: Yoshi's Island causing DSI exception then timeout

I posted the bug report here, https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/2698 so I’ll make a thread given the uncertainty of its current state. The issue I experience is that this is the only SuperFX, heck, the only enhancement chip game to cause me any grief on the latest official version. I haven’t tested the nightly builds at all, since I wanted to be sure I began testing this with the official build first of all, easier for others to replicate and find out where the ROM broke. Now, I tested the very same ROM image on another, but similar emulator, Snes9xGx 4.3.3 (a modded version to fix performance regressions 4.3.2 introduced), and sure enough, game booted up and runs perfectly (inasmuch as Snes9xGX runs perfectly). Point is, game is a clean dump, and I should also note the game did run fine in RetroArch 1.2.2 and 1.0.0.2 without a hitch, I don’t know what’s going on. I don’t know what more I can do to be honest. I suppose I can post the SHA-1 and CRC32 hashes of the game, other than that, no idea.

Wii version: 4.3 U Wiibrew Channel: 1.1.2 Snes9xGX - 4.3.3 Snes9x Next - 1.52.4 (I believe that is the one used in RA 1.3)

Other SuperFX and SuperFX-2 games run perfectly otherwise, Star Fox, Star Fox 2, etc.

I can try to capture the error again, the problem is I have to be super quick to capture it as it does time out after eight seconds and returns to the Wiibrew Channel menu.

Thanks for the bug report. If you can get any info from the DSI exception report, that may be helpful (cell phone pic or whatever would be fine). Your ROM is probably fine, dunno what would cause just that one game to crap out. We’ll have to look into it.

No prob. I have a nice 16 MP camera I can use, I’ll test that today for sure and attach screenshots to the report and on this thread (whichever is more effective).

EDIT: Updated with picture of error, happens every time, so it’s easy to replicate

Sweet. Thanks for grabbing that!

We’ll take a look and I’ll try to reproduce on my end, as well.

[QUOTE=hunterk;34009]Sweet. Thanks for grabbing that!

We’ll take a look and I’ll try to reproduce on my end, as well.[/QUOTE]

No prob! Hopefully this isn’t one of those bugs that others can’t reproduce and somehow is only my end :smiley: I kid, I kid XD

1.3.0 you said right? I took the time to try and it’s working for me using a clean install. So I think you missed something… please try with a clean install (no config files, no nothing pre configured) and use a good rom, and if it is zipped please ensure it is the only file in it. I had an issue long time ago with some roms that ran in another core (snes9x) but didn’t in snes9x-next and it happen that my zip file had another file apart of the rom. And also try the rom versions of other sources.

If you manage to run it I think you should close the issue you opened in github. Good Luck!

[QUOTE=netux79;34050]1.3.0 you said right? I took the time to try and it’s working for me using a clean install. So I think you missed something… please try with a clean install (no config files, no nothing pre configured) and use a good rom, and if it is zipped please ensure it is the only file in it. I had an issue long time ago with some roms that ran in another core (snes9x) but didn’t in snes9x-next and it happen that my zip file had another file apart of the rom. And also try the rom versions of other sources.

If you manage to run it I think you should close the issue you opened in github. Good Luck![/QUOTE]

Sigh Knew this might happen, see, the ROM is fine, it worked in 1.2.2, 1.0.0.2 and at the time of writing, it works in Snes9xGx 4.3.3 (a modded version with a performance boost). Now, regarding RetroArch 1.3.0, there is a very very good reason I won’t be deleting the config and starting from scratch so please, hear me out:

When I loaded up RA 1.3.0 for the first time, with the Classic Controller plugged in, the program detected the CC as a controller, but I couldn’t navigate with anything but the remote. Not only that, but it refused to let me press up and down to navigate the menu, I had to use 1, 2 and +, - on the Wii remote to change each of the buttons manually. It was a royal pain in the ass as it refused to let me navigate with any other controller, I guess I could have used a Gamecube controller, but the thought didn’t occur to me. That being said, it can’t be the ROM since it works perfectly in Snes9xGx, no crashing at all, loads fine. So with this conclusion, not only have I wasted the developers’ time yet again, but I don’t know what to do now. I’m at a loss.

Again, when starting 1.3.0 for the first time, I couldn’t navigate at all with the classic controller, it didn’t truly detect it and mapped automatically, whenever I pressed down on the d-pad, it would come up with a message showing how to use RetroArch’s directories, yeah, it took me nearly 30 minutes to manually configure the buttons, I don’t know why, but now, given the fact it works for you, this entire bug report has been nullified, again. The DSI exception, GIthub report entry, has all been for nothing, abso-freaking-lutely nothing. For a moment, I thought that I was doing my part in helping report issues with the Wii port, as usual, I was wrong lol.

So yeah, unless there’s a better way to do the initial set up of RetroArch 1.3.0 that doesn’t go bananas and forces me to use the Wii remote to navigate, I don’t think resetting the config/deleting it is conducive for my end, given the grief I went through to set it up. The ROM works on other emulators perfectly, something might be wrong, I don’t know, I thought I was providing useful info.

Sorry for double posting, just wanted to be made clear that the issue is partially resolved. I tried another dump of the ROM and it booted just fine, however, whenever I tried to make a save sate, the emulator crashed with the same error code.

Ok, thanks for the update. We’ll try to reproduce that behavior, as well.

Which is weird because on RetroArch Android and on PC, that never happens, but then again on PC I use the Snes9x core and not Snes9x Next, so I don’t know -_- I don’t have the highest hopes of people reproducing it. I have another dump I can try later, but if that one doesn’t work with saving, I don’t know what else to do.