RetroArch 1.3.2 on Vista 64 bit?

I can’t seem to get version 1.3.2 (or any version after 1.3) to work on Vista 64 bit. Every thread I find related to it is either old or just died without any real fix. Does that mean that support for 64 bit Vista is being discontinued?

The error I keep getting is…

retroarch.exe - Entry Point Not Found [B] The procedure entry point GetNumaNodeProcessorMaskEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

[/B] UPDATE: I can run the 32bit version of RetroArch 1.3.2 on 64bit Vista, but it’s unfortunate because some of the cores are only supported on 64bit. I “am” able to get the 64bit version of RetroArch 1.2.2 to work on 64bit Vista, though. Which allows me to run the 64bit cores, but RetroArch 1.2.2 crashes when trying to load games from custom playlists, so I try to avoid that version as much as possible.

Is the Vista compatibility issue with the 64bit version of 1.3.2 known? Can 64bit Vista owners expect to see an update? Any answers, even unfavorable one’s, would be appreciated.

The problem is that something broke in the newer library files (the ones since March 3rd, really) for 64bit Vista and they have yet to be addressed for some months now.

The executables themselves are fine though, I’m using an old setup from January and to this day I can use the new nightlies if I just download the new retroarch.exe and retroarch_debug.exe.

@NinjaMic Thanks for the pointer on what’s going on. None of us have Vista installations, so there was no way for us to troubleshoot it.

@NinjaMic Since you mentioned March, I went and downloaded an older version (64bit v1.3.0 - dated 01-17-2016) to see if the error still exists, and now I’m getting a completely different error.

[B] retroarch.exe - Entry Point Not Found

[/B][B]The procedure entry point PowerCreateRequest could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

[/B] Also, I tried the newest build (64bit v1.3.4) and the error from the previous version still exists.

UPDATE 1: Okay, so I’ve been testing by messing around with the library files and here’s my progress so far.

While testing “RetroArch v1.3.4 64bit” on 64bit Vista… I moved over all the library files over to a NewFolder and just kept the RetroArch.exe’s in the app folder’s root. I ran RetroArch without the library files and received an initial error of a missing library file. So from there I added each missing library file one by one until I came across the problematic file. I was finally able to recreate the GetNumaNodeProcessorMaskEx error once I added the requested libx265.dll file. I then copied over the libx265.dll file from an earlier version that I know works on my PC I[/I], and the error went away.

I ran RetroArch again and it then continued to ask me for the remaining missing library files. The next one it asked me for was libstdc+±6.dll.” After moving that file over I ran RetroArch again and received this error…[B] “The procedure entry point x265_api_get_59 could not be located in the dynamic link library libx265.dll.”

[/B] This is as far as I was able to get.

UPDATE 2: While testing “RetroArch v1.3.0 64bit” on 64bit Vista… This time, I tried using the same method of testing that I tried in UPDATE 1 and I encountered no errors on any of the library files. Although, once all the library files were moved back over to the root of the app folder, any attempt to start RetroArch would fail with the same error message that’s been plaguing this version B[/B]. Which is, “[B]The procedure entry point PowerCreateRequest could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.”

[/B]I’m not sure why this is happening.I assume it has to do with the .exe file.[B]

UPDATE 3:

[/B]While testing “RetroArch v1.3.4 64bit” on 64bit Vista… I started by removing all the .dll files from the root folder. I then moved over all the .dll files from v1.3.0 and tried running RetroArch. This time it asked me for individual .dll files that were specific to v1.3.4. So I decided to move over ALL of the .dll files that were unique to v1.3.4, which are… [B]

• libass-5.dll
  • libenca-0.dll - libexpat-1.dll
  • libfontconfig-1.dll
  • libfribidi-0.dll
  • libgnutls-30.dll
  • libhogweed-4-1.dll
  • libidn-11.dll
  • libnettle-6-1.dll [/B] After doing this I was able to SUCCESSFULLY!!! run 64bit RetroArch v1.3.4 on my 64bit Vista with no errors! :smiley:

Okay so I’m pretty sure I’ve found the problematic file.

In the last test I performed (UPDATE 3), I had moved all the DLL files from v1.3.0 folder over to v1.3.4’s folder, while also keeping the 9 extra DLL files that were unique to v1.3.4. This fix allowed v1.3.4 to finally work on my computer.

This time I decided to overwrite the v1.3.0 DLL files (that I had copied over) with the ones that originally came with v1.3.4. I overwrote each file one by one until I found the problematic files.

These are my results… [B]

• libx265.dll = The procedure entry point GetNumaNodeProcessorMaskEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

• avcodec-56.dll = The procedure entry point x256_api_get_59 could not be located in the dynamic link library libx265.dll

• avformat-56.dll = [I]The procedure entry point av_dv_codec_profile2 could not be located in the dynamic link library avcodec-56.dll

[/I][/B]I’m almost positive that the problematic file is libx265.dll. The last two files also reported errors but the 3rd one looks like it depends on the 2nd one and the 2nd one looks like it depends on the 1st one. The 1st one (libx265.dll) seems to be the only one reporting the error that I was originally having with KERNEL32.

Hope that any of this helps the RetroArch Devs and any other 64bit Vista users. :slight_smile:

Hey, thanks for looking into this. I think we can probably do something about this :slight_smile:

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

As far as a workaround goes, there are some. Currently these are the ones I’ve tested.

RetroArch for 64bit Vista:

RA 32bit v1.2.2 = WORKING RA 64bit v1.2.2 = WORKING RA 32bit v1.3.0 = NOT WORKING (Workaround Available) - The procedure entry point PowerCreateRequest could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll. RA 64bit v1.3.0 = NOT WORKING (Workaround Available) - The procedure entry point PowerCreateRequest could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll. RA 32bit v1.3.2 = WORKING RA 64bit v1.3.2 = NOT WORKING (Workaround Available) - The procedure entry point GetNumaNodeProcessorMaskEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll. RA 32bit v1.3.4 = WORKING RA 64bit v1.3.4 = NOT WORKING (Workaround Available) - The procedure entry point GetNumaNodeProcessorMaskEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

================= Workaround for v1.3.0 =…(make sure to use files from corresponding Windows versions of RetroArch.)** Files needed from v1.3.2**

• retroarch.exe
  • retroarch_debug.exe - (optional)

I know that this isn’t really a fix for “v1.3.0” since it technically becomes v1.3.2 once you copy over the v1.3.2 .exe file.
=================
[B][B]

=================[/B][/B] Workaround for 64bit v1.3.2 Files needed from 64bit v1.3.0

• libx265.dll
  • avcodec-56.dll
  • avformat-56.dll

=================[B][B]

=================[/B][/B] Workaround for 64bit v1.3.4 Files needed from 64bit v1.3.0

• libx265.dll
  • avcodec-56.dll
  • avformat-56.dll

=================

Finally got around to trying this workaround for a fresh setup. It works! Surprised that it was only 3 files holding us back.

Older post now…However I was getting the same errors running on windows 10 64 bit. I ran the Direct X end-user runtimes and it installed several missing .dll files. Afterwards I was no longer getting the errors.