RetroArch 1.3.4 Per Core Input Binding

I recently downloaded RetroArch 1.3.4 because 1.2.2 couldn’t play N64 games. It worked, but I ran into a different problem. I liked 1.2.2 because it made it so that the user could create custom gamepad inputs unique to each core (or game, even). This seems to have been removed from quick setting in this release. Is there some way I can get it back? Assume the following:

1. I am using Retroarch 1.3.4 in conjunction with EmulationStation on Windows 10 (64-bit).

2. I am using an XBox One controller (wireless, if it somehow matters).

3. I still expect to be able to use ‘A’ to select and ‘B’ to escape when navigating the GUI regardless of core/game. Retroarch automatically assumes a SNES input, so I had to reverse these buttons myself.

4. I prefer not to edit/move text files if at all possible.

I know it’s tough, but please try to focus your answers in the context of the Retroarch GUI only. I feel like this should all still be possible considering it could be done in 1.2.2 without editing cfg files. Not that I’m against text edits, mind you. I’d just rather not risk breaking anything if I don’t have to. Thanks in advance.