RetroArch 1.4.1 quick menu bugs

So after finally updating from 1.3.6 to 1.4.1 (Ubuntu 16.04 version), I’ve noticed that the new version has some problems with the quick menu while playing games. Namely, things like the menu toggle button only being one-way (i.e. allowing for to bring up the menu, but not to go back to the game) or games giving a black screen when trying to save using the on-screen menu options, though the latter issue seems to happen specifically with more complex games, such as arcade games. Sadly, the command line log doesn’t seem to give any relevant information, probably because it’s not the instantly-fatal, crash-immediately kind of bug.

im not sure how you updated to the new 1.4.1 but i cannot seems to remember quick menu related issues using xbox360 wired under windows7,windows10 and ubuntu 16.10(yeah, each OS is needed for specific functions that other OS cannot do)

sadly i cannot test savestates since i never used it and i have hardcore achievement always ON so its disabled by default anyways.

try remapping your quick menu hotkey.

Okay, remapped the menu toggle and it fixed the one-way toggle problem, but unfortunately, it seems that the menu toggle now causes the black-screen problem as well, tho it only seems to happen with Final Burn Alpha, so I’m guessing it’s more of a problem with the core interacting with the new version of RetroArch (already tried updating my version of FBA and it still happens). Anyways, thanks for your help, @wertz .

fba rarely causes issues, if this was psx_hw i can understand why, but fba is stable if you have decent opengl capable card and updated drivers. probably try to get some logs if possible. and also hardware specs specifically os used and gpu

Okay, so I seem to have figured out where the problem actually lies. Specifically, when you externally pause a game using either the pause or frame-forward hotkey, then bring up the menu, then try to go back to the game, that’s when the weird stuff, like getting black screens, happens. But if you hit the pause hotkey again, even while in the menu, everything’s fine. It just seemed like it was something to do with FBA because that’s the one core where I most often externally pause games, save via the menu, then continue playing.

As for hardware/software info, I’m currently running Linux Mint 18 as my OS with my computer’s built-in HD8670D GPU as the primary graphics driver. Or maybe not, since I can’t honestly figure out if the GPU is actually being used for anything.