RetroArch 1.6.0 - PSX cores have cropped video/crash repeatedly

What is the issue:

Both Beetle PSX and HW cores suffer from the video being cropped down to 1/4, if that, as to what it should be. For example, it shows only the upper-left corner of the image, but placed at the bottom of the monitor. This is not normal behavior and I know for a fact that previous versions, notably 1.5.0, did not experience this. In fact, PSX emulation was nearly perfect in versions past, but on here, it’s completely broken.

To make matters worse, despite having the require BIOS files scph5500, scph5501, and scph5502, the games will either completely crash RetroArch, or display the incorrect image. This is not how it should be working, and I did compare the MD5 hashes to the BIOS files and they do all match up, so I know they’re clean dumps.

Video here showing the issue:

and

Now, I know, I’m the only person to have this issue as literally everyone else can play it fine. And on 1.4.1 and 1.5.0, I was able to be a part of the demographic, but now, I can’t. It’s not clear what API to use for video, OpenGL? Vulkan? I tried both and neither of them fare better.

CPU - Core i7 4470 Haswell 3.4 GHz GPU - nVidia GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5 RAM - 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM OS - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

There’s no way my computer isn’t powerful enough, so the lack of sufficiently powerful hardware is a nonissue. I don’t even remember how to make a proper log dump of the emulator activity, so I need a refresher on that. Please advise. Other cores don’t do this, Snes, Genesis, etc, work fine, but PSX (either one), does not.

1 Like

If you change video drivers, you have to close RetroArch and then reopen before it will take effect. As for the image being larger than the screen, yeah, it does that if you use increased internal resolution with windowed mode. The fixes are to either: 1.) use fullscreen 2.) go to settings > video and set Windowed Width/Height values that are smaller than your total screen size

1 Like

What of the constant crashing then? I’m using the BIOS files as per the Wiki guide, and I still get constant crashing. Can you at least explain why that’s been happening? I did use Fullscreen, and the issue still persists. I will post a video later showing that. sigh I just don’t get why or how 1.5.0 worked perfectly, but 1.6.0 is somehow more inconvenient.

1 Like

The OpenGL renderer crashes if you toggle fullscreen/windowed. We’re looking into it now but just try to have it toggled before you load the core for now.

Other than that, we need logs to know more.

1 Like

Makes sense, okay, I thought it was something on my end. I adjusted the settings you suggested, PSX core is working flawlessly now. Sigh And I apologize, for acting…anyways.

no worries, glad you got it going :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I wanted to thank you for helping me get this resolved :smiley:

1 Like