RetroArch 1.7.0 iOS11 keyboard and iCade supported. ipa Download Link

Good news. iCade and keyboard controllers work on RetroArch 1.7.0 running iOS 11. Since iOS 11 update, we missed so many good things like iCade, keyboard controllers and some cores like N64, Commodore 64 and pcsx_rearmed(ps1) Core. Thanks to @hevey and @yo6snap for bringing pcsx_rearmed(ps1) core and iCade, keyboard support to RetroArch running iOS 11. Hopefully, someone makes rest cores to work on iOS 11 specially N64 core.

How to make iCade controller to work on Retroarch?

Settings/input/

Keyboard Gamepad Mapping Enable ON

Keyboard Gamepad Mapping SNES30 8bitdo === Will enable SELECT and START Buttons

Unified Menu controls ON ===== Will enable to have full control on both the menu and the game.

How to make Keyboard controller to work on Retroarch?

Keyboard Gamepad Mapping Enable OFF

For Multiple controllers:

• One to four MFi controllers.
  • One to three Mfi controllers and Keyboard or iCade controller.

To pair multiple controllers.

Pair MFi controllers first then iCade or Keyboard controller as last player. Make sure to clear Keyboard/iCade input from 1st player.

Can not pair iCade and Keyboard controllers at same time.

For iCade or Keyboard controller, You can have Menu and Toggle Gamepad Combo to Start + Select.

For Mfi Controller Im using Right analog for Select and Menu Toggle, Since I don’t really use Right analog on any core.

To have more than two players on Playstation (Pcsx_rearmed) need to enable Multitap 1 on Quick menu go to options. Don’t enable it on 989 studios games. Controllers won’t function. Playstation (Beetle PSX) can has multiplayers on any game including 989 studios games. Multitap 1 need to enable.

Snes9X and Snes9X 2010 choose multitap from Quick menu/Controls/User 2 Device type = multitap.

You may face an issue on 3rd and 4th player are not functioning. Go to Quick menu/Controls/User 3 and 4 Device type change it unknown or RetroPad to RetroPad.

use Cydia Impactor to install it.

3 Likes

Did they have to make any code changes for this or was it just a matter of having everything configured properly?

1 Like

Here what yo6snap has been done to bring back iCade and keyboard. https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/6197

All the changes has been made to 1.7.0 Release source. But I made a little change to my ipa, I cleared hotkeys default inputs. So no common Inputs with keyboard controller.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for keeping this port up and going.

2 Likes

thx mate it works in my iphone 5s ios 10.2.1. but fba cores and pcsx core not smooth when it play. any tip to make it smooth? or i pick the wrong version?

i tried with iFBA it run smooth. but the cores is old 0.2.97.29, i want play zero team

Yeah you picked the wrong versions, this one is for ios 11. But at least fba cores should work on iOS 10. Maybe you didn’t include bios (neogeo.zip) inside games folder. Git ios 9 and 10 cores from this source : https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/apple/ios9/latest/

Make sure to unzip cores.

is retroarch app version matter to the performance itself? btw i jailbroken already, so i install other version retroarch or core only? if yes can you provide the right version for me?

ios is so confusing, im android user too, in there i just need to online updater put roms and done.

So I installed this and everything appears to working. But Mupen64plus is missing. How do I install it? I tried taking the dylib and copying it into the Module directory but still does not appear in the list…

You can’t use cores from online updater on iOS 10, because cores need to be code signed. Try this Retroarch 1.6.0 https://www.mediafire.com/download/760qkc7ee4yof3m

When I’m free I will make 1.7.0 update with updated cores.

1 Like

There is no N64 core for ios 11

will report here after test later, thx for reply and your link :slight_smile:

hi @MrSeven_X - as mentioned above I really appreciate your work on this port and able to use most console cores ok. I do have two questions though: 1) have you been able to get the DOSBox core to run? and 2) is there any chance we’ll see the UAE (Amiga) or ScummVM cores in, or maybe let us know what is missing in case anyone can help (I have been competent enough to build the standalone iUAE and ScummVM apps and they worked but I don’t want to have to keep reloading 3 apps every 5 days hence was hoping for the RA-only solution).

Anyway on 1, DOSBox, specifically, I am on the latest ipad pro with iOS 11 and it is really frustrating because I can confirm that the keyboard works (PrBoom core) and loading the dos content into a Windows 1.7.0 RA works so I’m pretty confident about the setup and data, I’m pretty sure I don’t need any additional bios/setup, per the RA doc page on this core. The Core version displayed is DOSBox 0.74 9590645. Any ideas/tips on this one or anything I can do to provide more info (can I get logs somehow?)? The app just crashes when I try to launch the Core, whether just starting it from the quick menu or from the batch file of my content.

Thanks a lot for any info you can provide on these 2 Qs.

For the 1st Q, there’s something wrong regarding DOSBox on arm64 (iOS11). I tried DOSBox core on iOS 8 , 10 and OS X working no problem. For the 2nd Q, I can’t even compile ScummVM core for iOS 11. I don’t even know how to get logs.

1 Like

Hi, and thank you so much for this updated version MrSeven_X !

I’ve been using the v1.6.8 on iOS 11 (that’s been shared here) for a while too…

I have 2 technical questions though :

I’ve been using the iOS 11 compatible PCSX ReARMed core shared before, the one shared here, and even compiled the newest version myself, but the “Enhanced Resolution (slow)” option seems to do nothing anymore on this 64-bit version…

I guess it’s related to the NEON/mercury being disabled, but it would be nice to have an insight on this…

Another thing is all the SEGA saturn cores instantly crash RetroArch… I think they still use some 32-bit code, but I have no clue on this one…

I’ve been testing on an iPad Pro v2 12,9" and an iPhone X, and everything else is running smoothly !

(Currently using 4do, NX Engine, FBA, G&W, Gambatte, TGB Dual, mGBA, MAME 2003, FCEUmm, DeSmuME, Mednafen Super Grafx, PCSX ReARMed, Pico Drive, BSNES Mecury, Vecx, and Mednafen VB…)

Thanks again, and it’s great to see some progress being made on the infamous iOS 11 situation, this is really awesome, especially on the iPad with a 4:3 screen ratio, which is perfect for all those retro systems… :smile:

This option “Enhanced Resolution (slow)” not for iOS 11. go ahead and compile Playstation beetle psx. It has improved game speed and Resolution. Select 2x on option “Internal GPU resolution”. For Sega Saturn, there’s no core is working on iOS 11. Even when it was working on previous iOS versions, it wasn’t playable. Use this oyabause emulator for SEGA saturn. It works on iOS 11 and full speed. N64 now working on iOS 11. Full speed and Hi-resution on all games. But it works on Provenance emulator (https://github.com/jasarien/Provenance/tree/feature/N64+Swift).

1 Like

Thank you so much for the exhaustive answer, MrSeven_X !

I’ve now got a full set of emulators running on iOS 11, thanks to you !

Provenance-N64+Swift for the N64, uoYabause for the SEGA Saturn, PPSSPP for the PSP, ScummVM for Point&Click games, and minivmac4ios for Mac OS classic games and apps !

I compiled Provenance-N64+Swift as no versions were shared, ScummVM as the buildbot version was incompatible with iOS 11, and Mini vMac, to have the latest version…

Thanks again for this awesome share, and for all the good info you gave !

2 Likes

Hey, saw you were able to compile the provenance app. Could you please share it with me? Im having few issues with my Xcode app and I’m not able to do it.

You must have Xcode 8 or 9. Then open Provenance.xcworkspace not Provenance.xcodeproj. finally delete all targets(ProvenanceTV, Spotlight and TopShelf) except Provenance. @Weedy_Weed_Smoker. You are welcome.

1 Like

You are the best. Thanks soooo much for this.

1 Like

@Incognit Here you go :

It was driving me crazy too until I realized how to force the whole thing to arm64 only, and lots of trial and error to successfully compile…

(I’m a graphic designer, and the only code I get is some HTML, but I’ve used Xcode so many times I start to get it…)

P.S.: If you’re jailbroken, just unzip the “.ipa” file (rename to “.zip”), and install to “/Applications” via SFTP or Filza — then type “uicache” via SSH…

Cheers !

1 Like