Retroarch 1.7.1 Fast Forward Extremely slow

Im using the latest stable release of retroarch 1.7.1 and when i fast forward a few times in any core the entirety of retroarch will completely slow down to like 10fps. the only ways to fix it are restart retroarch or close the core. I have tried different backends such as directx 10, open gl, and vulkan but they all have the same issue. Now for the first couple of times of fast forwarding its fine like around 2 or 3 times but then it slows to a crawl if i do it again. I am also using an Nvidia GTX 1060 gpu dont know if that matters. older versions of retroarch never did this. Any help would be much appreciated. Also if this is the wrong place to post this I apologize. oh also on an unrelated note ever since updating retroarch my box art thumbnails now display really small. I never changed any setting related to that. Before they were nice and large but not anymore anyone know how to change that?

I have a similar issue with fast forward, but only on the Vulkan driver. GL and D3D are fine for me.