Retroarch 1.7.7 - Attempting to bind hotkeys to DS4 freezes

I’m a huge fan of Retroarch and have been using it for quite a while, but just ran into a really frustrating issue and I’m not sure how to fix it. I’m new to the forum, and apologize if this has already been addressed, but I didn’t see anything quite like my issue.

I am using a clean install of 1.7.7 for Windows 64 bit in Windows 10, and my PS4 DS4 always worked perfectly in 1.7.5 and earlier, but when I did a clean install of 1.7.7, it works like normal at first, to navigate the menus, but if I try to bind a hotkey such as Turbo to L2, or Save State to L3 and Load State to R3, it doesn’t recognize the button press, and puts “-3(N/A)” in place of the button I pressed. When this occurs, I immediately lose all functionality of my DS4 for Retroarch, and also can’t use the keyboard to navigate. Only the mouse will (sort of) work to click around.

I’m using one of the first PS4 controllers, as it always just worked by being plugged in, without need of “DS4Windows” to be installed, but to test it, I set up one of my newer PS4 Pro controllers, which needed me to install that program, but when I use that controller, it won’t even acknowledge me pressing L2, L3, L2, or R2 when attempting to press them as a bind key. This does NOT produce the -3N/A stamp, but simply ignores all of those buttons entirely, and the PS button doesn’t open the menu etc, like it did with my original PS4 DS4. I then also tested with an Xbox One controller, and like the PS4 Pro controller, worked fine everywhere, but Retroarch binds ignore the same exact buttons.

I really hope I’m just missing something obvious, because I really want to get back to playing.

Thanks for any help!

It sounds like you’re running into a known bug with v1.7.7. You can either update to a nightly build, where the bug should be fixed already, or you can wait a few days for us to release the upcoming v1.7.8.

1 Like

I had a feeling I had narrowed it down to that build, as I just reinstalled 1.7.5 and got it all working perfectly again. Thanks for the quick response!