RetroArch 1.9.14 still can't load some large NEOGEO roms in NEW3DS

In 1.9.14 bulid, some large NEOGEO roms can be loaded successfully, such as Metal Slug 3, KOF99, KOF2000, KOF2001. But some roms still can’t be loaded, including KOF2002, KOF2003, SNK VS CAPCOM, Samurai Shodown V, Samurai Shodown Special. These roms can be loaded and played in 1.6.7 bulid without any issue. I don’t understand why after so many updates, RetroArch still have problem loading these roms.

1 Like

Typically, that’s a result of the device running out of RAM to load large games. Which core is this? FBA2012-neogeo? That’s the one that’s most likely to work.

In 1.6.7 bulid, both FBA 2012 and FBA 2012 NEOGEO cores can load all NEOGEO roms and run them is full speed. So it means NEW3DS hardware is capable of handling all NEOGEO roms. Hope in future RetroArch can finally settle this problem of regression.

RA grew in size because of those updates, and that might precisely be the reason those games don’t work anymore : the main issue with 3ds is usually the lack of ram, the shitty cpu only comes second.

Well, if my theory is true, that might not be a fixable regression, because RA devs won’t remove their work just so that n3ds users can play those few huge games.

Out of curiosity, does FBNeo load those games on n3ds ? If it does, that’s probably something different from my theory (i can think of a few things, like misuse of memcpy/memmove, or memory alignment).

Also, are you running those games consecutively or are you running each of those games right after powering on your n3ds ? Something i know about (n3ds) RA is that there are most likely some memory leaks that can prevent normal operation when running games consecutively (on FBNeo, because of how huge the core is, you need to restart your n3ds after each game).

2 Likes

OK, seems beside using 1.6.7 build back, Neo-Geo Forwarder Creator is the only way to run large NEOGEO roms in NEW3DS.

The hardware occupation of FBNeo is definitely much larger than FBA 2012 core. It can’t even load middle sized roms such as KOF97 and KOF98. Small sized roms such as KOF94 also can’t reach full speed in FBNeo.

In 1.6.7 build, I can change to any NEOGEO roms freely without quitting RetroArch. But in later bulids, some large NEOGEO roms can’t be loaded even after restarting 3DS.

Well, i guess my theory is true and n3ds doesn’t have enough memory to run this core with later RA, meaning it’s unfixable.

1 Like