RetroArch and EventGhost

I want to use EventGhost to send key presses to RetroArch, however it doesn’t work. Standard emulate keystroke (doesn’t matter what the key is) seems to trigger the start button, and the alternate method does nothing. I think I remember having the same problem with Xpadder and Zsnes.

Could RetroArch be altered so it can accept emulated keystrokes?

The reason I want to do it is so I can use my Harmony remote to save/load/change states.

This was true with BSNES too… I don´t know why it happens but I can confirm it happens

Hi! I’m new here and can’t yet create a new topic, but this one fits perfectly. I have the same problem. I’m using RetroArch as a video player, solely for the excellent CRT shaders. For example, Star Trek: Voyager and DS9 are not available in HD, but look great on a modern display with a good CRT shader.

In my HTPC setup, I’m using a remote, not a keyboard. EventGhost can usually emulate keyboard commands to control any program, but it just plain doesn’t work with RetroArch. Something does happen, but not the right thing: Pressing the Right keyboard arrow skips forward. (Great!) Emulating pressing the Right keyboard arror will pause the video. Do it again, and the video starts playing in slow motion with audio at half speed, and then a message pops up about joining a network game! It’s bizarre. It’s exactly the same issue the OP posted about 6 years ago.

I didn’t give up that easily, though. I found this article about RetroArch UDP network commands. The mechanism works (i’m able to MUTE and UNMUTE this way) but PAUSE, FAST_FORWARD, REWIND don’t do anything at all!

Finally I discovered Remote Retropad and port 55400… That could work as well, but I can’t find any description about the packets anywhere.

So, I’m stumped. Surely (and evidently) I’m not the first person to want to do this. Help, anyone?

For people who find this thread in the future:

EventGhost is not able to projectly inject keystrokes into RetroArch (and probably not many other games or emulators either) but AutoHotKey can. With AutoHotKey you can compile a script to an EXE which you can call from EventGhost. It’s ugly as all hell to be calling a 700 KB EXE just to simulate a keystroke but it does work.

Example AutoHotKey script:

#NoEnv
SendMode Input

Send, {left down}
Sleep 100
Send, {left up}
return

…pushes the left arrow once (skip back 10 seconds).