RetroArch Android - READ if you have crackling audio/bad video

We’ll see. According to Chimei, it’s a 60hz screen.

Anyway, it’s a good device for the money. Dosbox Turbo runs great, and the oid (among others) emus work fine. Nexus 7 might have a more polished stock rom, but lack of physical controls is a dealbreaker for me. Archos has an awful dpad, so S7300 was the only option, slow screen or no.

And it turns off every 3/4 minutes when run at that refresh rate apparently according to another bloke on that Dingoonity forum. Seriously - it’s a 50/48Hz screen for all intents and purposes then - the fact it got ‘shipped’ with the refreshrate being stuck to that value is because the manufacturer apparently went there before you guys went there - and found it to be highly unstable - thus the lowering to 50Hz/48Hz.

Nice buyer’s remorse but at the end of the day, at 50Hz/48Hz it’s a crap device for retrogaming/emulation. What amazes me though is how the Dingoo scene always seems to levitate towards the most crap devices out there in any generational cycle so that they continually have to resort to lovely ‘frameskipping’ to save the day for them (that or butchering emulator codebases beyond all belief). If they actually bought decent hardware (as in - even my 150 Euros piece of crap Cortex A8 tablet - bought last year - has a 61Hz screen - and it would probably be worth 50 Euros today) they wouldn’t have half the issues they’re dealing with.

And BTW - I saw somebody suggesting ‘frameskip 5’ on that thread for AFBA, *oid and other emus on the JXD S7300. I’m sorry but if you consider that ‘acceptable’ - I sure as hell DO NOT. It’s embarrassing you have to resort to this on a device bought in 2012/2013 and I would sooner cut my losses and get rid of the damn thing than trying to get it to do something it’s clearly not designed to do.

If it’s 50 hz, do PAL games run properly on it? What about Mortal Kombat or other 50 hz arcade games?

Mortal Kombat games are not even playable on FBA (and MAME 0.78 hasn’t been included as part of the Android release yet).

Mortal Kombat 1/2/3/Ultimate are 53Hz BTW.

Nice buyer’s remorse[/quote]

I guess I missed the remorse part :slight_smile:

I just wanted a device to watch netflix/youtube, check email, general browsing, and to run Dosbox with physical controls. It does all those things admirably. It also runs emus acceptably with various emulators, and that’s gravy. Getting retroarch running up to snuff would be awesome, but I’m not going to cry if it never ends up that way. I understand that retroarch is designed with a specific philosophy, and it might not mesh with every users preferences.

No remorse whatsoever, I’d buy one again in a minute. For $150, there’s simply no competition. Archos Gamepad is close, but costs more and doesn’t even have a real dpad. Hopefully there are more 7" gaming tablets on the way, but for now, it’s S7300 or Gamepad. Wikipad is coming, but at $250, it’s a different class of device.

Would I prefer a 60hz screen? Sure. Is a 7" device available that has a 60hz screen, plus the other features I wanted? Nope.

Unrelated, if you get a minute, mind popping in my ‘overlay documentation?’ thread? I’m stumped trying to load the overlay I made.

Anyway - maister is working on a threaded video driver model that might help with JXD devices (with low screen refresh rates).

1 Like

Sounds cool, can ya translate that to English? :slight_smile:

Just a note to myself or somebody else - we might need to update the OP - it’s badly out of date.

Since JXD released the source and 60hz patch for the S7300, Retroarch runs fine with no sound issues. Woot.

Just to add some info to the topic, my Galaxy S3 was having terrible results (crackling audio), and then, I turned energy saving off. It’s perfect now.

Cheers.

Hi. I’m new to emulators and I have the stuff on 2 Android devices and would particularly like running NES, SNES and PSX ROMs.

Just want to know if you have tips for adjusting it for the HTC One X. For NES and SNES I have delays/crackle and adjusting the refresh rate does not seem to work. For the PSX, I managed to have my CUE file running but it does not have audio. One would assume that my phone is powerful enough but I am dumbfounded here. I grabbed free separate emulators for NES (John NES Lite) and SNES (Snes9x EX+), and they don’t seem to have problems. I currently don’t have a separate one for PSX.

I tried disabling my phone’s power saving feature (as I seen done by @gui.orioli) but that didn’t help. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Worked for me too on the S3 GT19300. I was having real problems before doing this. The refresh rate with power saving on was around 40Hz. Changing the forced rate to this clearly didn’t work. With power saving off the refresh rate was calculated at 59.99Hz and now the PSX works excellently. Dark Forces plays great. Going to try a few more today and update.

CC

edit Tomb Raider I/II goes blank screen after intro/options screen. Abe’s Odysee runs perfectly. Genesis Plus GX working fine so far.

1 Like

Worked for me too on the S3 GT19300. I was having real problems before doing this. The refresh rate with power saving on was around 40Hz. Changing the forced rate to this clearly didn’t work. With power saving off the refresh rate was calculated at 59.99Hz and now the PSX works excellently. Dark Forces plays great. Going to try a few more today and update.

CC

edit Tomb Raider I/II goes blank screen after intro/options screen. Abe’s Odysee runs perfectly. Genesis Plus GX working fine so far.[/quote:28mazdae]

The next version of PCSX ReARMed will tell you at startup whether you are loading with a ‘real BIOS’ or whether it is using the HLE emulated BIOS.

If PCSX ReARMed is using the HLE emulated BIOS, then you should expect compatibility to suffer severely. There is a very big chance that once you use the real BIOS files, all those PS1 games you can not get to run now will just work.

With regards to phones and power saving - yeah, aggressive power management policies are all the rage now in CPU engineering land - considered even more important than raw speed. For apps like RetroArch you really want no ‘smart power management throttling’ going on since even a tiny spike in performance will crush framerates.

Hello, I’m getting getting crackling audio and slow video for anything Super Nintendo and above. Nintendo and Game Boy Color run smooth at most parts with a only very few lags here and there.

I’m using a Samsung Galaxy Duos which runs a single core 1.0 Ghz processor, correct me if I’m wrong but I think GBA should be playable here, and that’s with Advanced Mobile Care’s Game Booster on.

I did use the Calibrate refresh rate feature quite a few times too, and it jitters a little bit, from 58.7 to 59.1

On another topic, I feel like the controls aren’t super responsive or maybe they have a small register area, is there a way to make them bigger without making them go off-screen?

Thanks in advance.

@grincho That’s about right, performance-wise. Full speed GBA is borderline on top-of-the-line Android phones.

You can edit the hitboxes on the overlays. This document gives some details:

Well that’s a bummer, thanks a lot though!

Hi, I’m new here…I using Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, last night just download the latest version v1.0.0.1 from Google Play and this is my 1st time using RetroArch. I try some Wonderswan, SNES, NDS and GBA ROM games but all get crackling audio/bad video, even I try follow the setting from here, and yet I still get the same problems. Please Help.

P/S: Sorry for my bad English.

Hi guys I have scoured the internet and found no solution so I thought Id ask here. Previously I had retroarch on my galaxy S3 and it worked perfectly - I play PS1 games using a sixaxis ps3 controller linked via usb and it made being out a lot better. After the 4.3 android update my controller key tasking got messed up - for some reason X and square swapped, as well as triangle and circle. I tried to manually assign the keys - and it showed they were all assigned correctly but still when actually using it with retroarch the key remained mis-matched.

So I uninstalled retroarch, hoping to reinstall it and see if that helped - only to find it had been removed from the play store. Eventually it came back to I reinstalled it - only to find that now retroarch wont run my games smoothly anymore. The video and sound is extremely choppy and it literally makes all of my games unplayable and unbearable. I have tried doing the auto calibration of frame rate thing - which improved it slightly - but it still does not run smoothly as it used to and again games are still unplayable like this. I also tried to force the refresh rate to 59.9 as suggested by an earlier post only to find that was slightly worse than the calibrate refresh rate value of 59.3 something. Also energy saving is off as I never have it turned on.

Anyone got any ideas? I considered getting another emulator but I love retroarch and if I can get it to work as it used to then I will stick with it. Thanks

If you’re using an external gamepad, do you have overlays disabled? Some people are reporting significantly worse performance with them turned on since overlays were reworked.

I assume you’ve also tried ‘threaded video’?

No I have overlay enabled - but it used to work with the overlay on without any performance issue. I have tried disabling/enabling threaded video with no result :confused: