RetroArch Android - READ if you have crackling audio/bad video

Tried disabling it - had no effect

well i stumbled into the refresh problem with a Photon Q. i was pretty happy with the phone until i tried out emulatorsā€¦ they worked awfully and sound was completely distorted

i immediately installed retroarch and checked the refresh rateā€¦ calibration reports something like 56.6xxxxx which is a terrible value. the best i could attain was either good video + very bad audio or good audio (but still not perfect) and very very bad video

so uh, stay away from that phone if you care about emulation :frowning:

i solve my problem with my Samsung S5 using Threaded Video Disable.

Good information for the android users.

Interesante. Igual resulta todo un kilombo solo por no tener como saltar 2 o 3 cuadrosā€¦ aguante retroarch! :wink:

Not saying this would be easy, but why donā€™t you program something to detect crackling audio, and have an option to automatically cycle through 60 to 0 until the audio stops crackling? Maybe you could also have some kind of debug mode that plays a sine wave, so it will be easy to detect the crackle.

Hello!

I have a Nvidia shield tv (nougat) and when I try psx roms (Chrono cross, star ocean and others) I got audio crackling. I tried the suggestion but I alwaysā€‹ get crackling. Any tips to get it fix?

Thanks

This might seem like a silly question, but how do I lower the refresh rate? It seems like I can only increment and reset to default.

I am using the most recent build.

greetings! new here. I have crackling audio when I use vsync. it goes away when I turn it off but then I have video stuttering. I have tried many combinations (using vsync/audiosync/threaded video/hard gpu sync/and that 2048 sample thing) but I always have one problem or another. any suggestions?

Iā€™m using pixelbook chromebook retroarch. I have been playing Donkey Kong super game boy on bsnes core. My audio eventually cackles after a while of playing. Itā€™s fine at first but then it begins cackling?! My audio driver is opensl. Does bsnes Recognize it? Help!

bsnes+sameboy SGB emulation is pretty demanding. Is it possible youā€™re getting thermal throttling?

The core/game you are starting may be too demanding for you phone. Vsync on android is mandatory (disabling it produces those massive stutters in video). Keep threaded video on, disable Hard GPU sync and try a fast core like Final Burn Neo, with an arcade game like Street Fighter 2, Final Fight that have very low requirements.

Hello, Iā€™m French and a Retroarch user. I have a problem with the emulator but my English is bad and I canā€™t find my answer on the topics. Indeed, Iā€™m playing on an Android TV box as well as with a PS4 controller, which works. When the controller is not connected via USB, the game has sound but when I plug the controller in, the sound disappears. I tried to plug my headphones into the controller but nothing works. Is there something to adjust in the settings or is the problem coming from the case? Thank you for your answers

Donā€™t worry, your English isnā€™t bad at all :slight_smile:

Do other sounds (notifications, etc.) continue coming from your device even while itā€™s plugged in? If not, itā€™s probably something at the OS level rather than within RetroArch.

Hi, I donā€™t know if this topic is still relevant. I have settings to share to no longer have Poco F3 sound and video stuttering problems. First donā€™t put in 120hz mode, then for GBA (mGBA) 60.281hz, for Game Boy (gambatte) 60.248hz and Game Boy Color 60.350hz.
For Game Gear (genesis plus gx) 60.226hz.
I hope that will help.

Hi! Can someone clarify ā€œBad videoā€ in this specific post?

I have been having problems on All Sega cores and Arcade cores regarding games running too fast like +1,5X of the normal speed! Tried everything but nothing works!

I dont have crackling audio butā€¦ is this the same problem that are reported here? Can someone clarify? Thank you!

It reffers to when the gameā€™s image stutters, has small pauses and split second freezes, or uneven framepacing.

Your issue might be related to the refresh rate of your screen. Be sure to have it set to 60 hz. If your device supports fast refresh rates (160 hz +), use that, and check the Sync to exact content box in Retroarch settings.

You can also try increasing the audio latency, at the expense of delayed audio. Some people may not notice much of a difference, though.

1 Like