RetroArch CLI

I am completely new to Retroarch , I have managed to get it working in the Gui , however I now wnat to run it from a command line , I started simple

drive:\games\retroarch\retroarch

Starts the program fine

I then tried to load a core

drive:\games\retroarch\retroarch “-L drive:\games\retroarch\cores\mycoretoload.dll”

runs retroarch but no core is loaded

plus

drive:\games\retroarch\retroarch --help

does nothing , retroarch wont even start

You can’t load a core from the command line and then go launch content with it via the GUI. You have to load the core and the content at once.

Thanks for the reply , i tried loading a rom but that didn;t work either , so I started simple , can you clarify the syntax for me for windows

This should help

https://buildbot.libretro.com/docs/guides/cli-intro/

1 Like

Sure. Launching from CLI should look like this (I use retroarch_debug to get proper log output):

retroarch_debug.exe --verbose --log-file log.txt -L cores\whatever_libretro.dll drive:\path\to\game.bin

That command will create a log.txt in case anything goes awry.

Thanks for the help , II got it working managed to combine it with Steam ROM Manager as well , so now I can play my roms via steam link

1 Like

I should probably set that up, too. I already have RA on my Nvidia Shield, but there are some cores that it just can’t run, so it would be nice to run those through my Steam Link.

this used to be the default behavior of retroarch, for longer than not I think. i used to maintain a one or two line patch that restored this functionality on a few machines i administer for others as a favor, after a commit a few years back that did a bit of code refactoring broke support for it. however at some point i stopped keeping up and simply changed the way i set up retroarch for them. prior to the change i had cute little pixel art icons for each platform setup on the desktop which would launch retroarch with a core pre loaded and a custom config overlay if necessary.

maybe support for this will return someday?

Yeah, it stopped working a year or two ago, IIRC. There are a few other things like that, like the --fullscreen CLI switch just straight-up not working anymore, that have fallen by the wayside as we’ve focused more on the integrated GUI options. I’d like to see them all come back at some point.

I use something like this and it works at least on linux.

retroarch -v -L ‘/DEV/1GIT/z26/z86_libretro.so’ --menu

i can choose then rom via GUI with core preselected.

so it does, thank you! wow, do i feel stupid. i was not aware of the menu option, it has been a very very long time since i’ve looked at the man page for retroarch…

Oh, well shucks, that’s easy enough.