RetroArch CMD launching

Hi all.

I am pulling my hair out (and I dont have much anyway) on this issue. I am trying to “bypass” the softlists and hashes in order to launch roms thru retroarch with cmd files.

Using MAME as standalone (just the mame64.exe and sym file in retroarch system mame dir), I can launch an Atari 5200 rom with…

MAME64.exe a5200 -cart “F:\cmdrom\Beamrider (USA).zip” - works fine.

So I create a file called Beamriser (USA).cmd and it consists of a5200 -cart “F:\cmdrom\Beamrider (USA).zip”

open retroarch, load content, select the cmd file and choose MAME from list - error :frowning: 5200.rom NOT FOUND (tried in a5200 a5200)

I have the correct BIOS file just about everywhere retroarch\system\mame\roms - zipped and in a5200 subdir both zipped and unzipped f:\cmdrom\ directory zipped and unzipped and in a a5200 subdir both zipped and unzipped

Paths are set correctly within retroarch I have also tried it without LFN and just used beam.

I have seen this method used and working by thatman on a youtube post before within hyperspin and retroarch.

Any pointers? or is there a way of getting a more detailed log file highlighting exactly where retroarch is trying to look for the BIOS - tried in a5200 a5200 is hardly helpful in fault finding :confused:

Oh and I have tried about a dozen different versions of retroarch from latest git back to yesteryear.

Thanks for your time

Brent

See this post at Hyperspin.

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forums/topic/31245-big-newsthen-end-of-renaming-softlists/?do=findComment&comment=290457

It turns out you do still need an a5200.ini in the mame folder pointing to your bios file.

Also you need to have read configurations turned on in .ini or i think you can do this in the core options of retroarch if you laod another working game with the mame core and save core override

1 Like

your cmd file is fine , just missing the rompath to tell where look at the bios file aka -rp (if you don’t have an ini file like explain above)

then the correct cmdfile is :

a5200 -cart "/ici/ou la /ailleurs/Beamrider (1984) (Activision)/Beamrider (1984) (Activision).a52" -rp "/ici/au fond/ dedans/my mess roms" 
1 Like

:slight_smile: Perfect - it was the ini issue that threw me as I thought it wasn’t needed after around .180

Fully working

Top marks to you sir and thanks

Brent

Just to be clear for other users , You don’t need an INI file, if you pass the rompath trough command line with -rp.

1 Like

r-type

I can equally confirm that your method does work too. Tried & tested. Thanks equally for that - I am going to stick with the .ini as I have a CMD generator program that auto makes for the roms and doesnt have to take into account the -rp being pass in.

Brent

on side note,

if you have write configuration core option enable, the first time you launch an 5200 rom (with for example cmdline ) , it will create an 5200.ini in ini folder, with correct entry provide by rompath (like rompath /home/ici/Bureau/romsmess )

then after , if you have read configuration core option enable , y ou can launch other cmd without rompath as it will look at 5200.ini .

@r-type if i put a guide together for docs would you mind taking a look at it before posting?

1 Like

If your using cmd generator i posted then i will try and see if i can make it add the -rp command also

1 Like

I am indeed :slight_smile:

Assuming the bios file is in same folder as roms would this not work?

@ECHO off SET pcromfolder=“C:\Users\brent_000\Desktop\Atari 5200” SET shieldrompath="/storage/5ACA0207CA01E05D/mamecmd/Atari 5200/" SET outpath=“C:\Users\brent_000\Desktop\tmp” SET sysname=a5200 SET media=-cart

CD /d %pcromfolder% FOR %%A IN (.) DO (ECHO %sysname% %media% “%shieldrompath:”=%%%~nxA" -rp “%shieldrompath:”=%" ) >> %outpath%/%%~nA.cmd

Brent

Cool

Best thing to do is just run it and see. Thats all i did when changing the format for the other batch files.

I have no coding skills. The original came from a guy i know. I just played with it to make things work. Im gonna try some more tonight.

A HS user was having trouble with a5200 roms that have a vaule of a5200_2chips like achase. Im gonna test that out tonight hopefully