RetroArch crash to desktop if i use Vulkan video driver

Hi to all, until yesterday i used vulkan driver to run games. Suddenly now if i want to launch retroarch with vulkan driver, it crashes istantly. To run it i’ve to change video driver from retroarch.cfg file from vulkan to gl. I’ve tried to update my video driver, but the issue is still present.

This is the log file:

[INFO] RetroArch 1.9.0 (Git 6388872a54)

[INFO] === Build =======================================

[INFO] CPU Model Name: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics

[INFO] Capabilities: MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4 SSE4.2 AES AVX

[INFO] Built: Aug 11 2020

[INFO] Version: 1.9.0

[INFO] Git: 6388872a54

[INFO] =================================================

[INFO] [Environ]: SET_PIXEL_FORMAT: RGB565.

[INFO] [Overrides]: Redirecting save file to “C:\Users\RAC\Desktop\RetroArch\saves.srm”.

[INFO] [Overrides]: Redirecting save state to “C:\Users\RAC\Desktop\RetroArch\states.state”.

[INFO] Version of libretro API: 1

[INFO] Compiled against API: 1

[INFO] [Audio]: Set audio input rate to: 48000.00 Hz.

[INFO] [Video]: Video @ 960x720

[INFO] [Vulkan]: Vulkan dynamic library loaded.

[INFO] [Vulkan]: Found vulkan context: vk_w

[INFO] [Vulkan]: Detecting screen resolution 1600x900.

[INFO] [Vulkan]: Found GPU at index 0: Radeon RX 570 Series

[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using GPU index 0.

[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using fences for WSI acquire.

[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using GPU: Radeon RX 570 Series

[INFO] [Vulkan]: Queue family 0 supports 1 sub-queues.

[ERROR] [Vulkan]: Failed to create device.

[ERROR] [WGL]: win32_set_video_mode failed.

[ERROR] [Vulkan]: Failed to set video mode.

[ERROR] [Video]: Cannot open video driver … Exiting …

[ERROR] Fatal error received in: “init_video()”

1 Like

Looks like it’s still trying to use vulkan. Did you save an override after you changed it? Does your retroarch.cfg still say “gl” or did it change back?

if i use open gl is all ok, if i use vulkan there’s an istant crash. But it’s very strange, i’ve always used vulkan until yesterday without problems.

I’ve downloaded a fresh version of retroarch. It works, but when i switch to vulkan driver and reboot retroarch, it crashes.

The same thing happens to me, 2 days ago Vulkan stopped working, yesterday at least it entered the interface but it failed in the cores, now it does not load the interface, it gives an error.

If you put the debug screen the following appears.

I tried with a clean version of RA, but nothing, with GL without problems, is to put Vulkan, exit and it stops working and before perfect. The graphic is an Nvidia GTX 970 and Windows 10 x64 all updated.

I even reinstalled Windows thinking I would have a problem, but no, it’s still the same.

1 Like

git commit -a -m"Cleanups"

where can we write this command?

LOL sorry My bad it was a bad joke explaining the development process that causes these bugs.

Yeah it happens on my PC too. And after it happens other vulkan apps stop working too

1 Like

Can confirm the same issue. Tested with both the latest stable and nightly, as soon as I change to vulkan driver it just crashes as soon as it opens Retroarch.

Intel i7 4970k and Nvidia GTX 970 here, with the latest drivers.

Here’s the log file:

[INFO] RetroArch 1.9.0 (Git 9ac393fa02) [INFO] === Build ======================================= [INFO] CPU Model Name: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz [INFO] Capabilities: MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4 SSE4.2 AES AVX [INFO] Built: Oct 9 2020 [INFO] Version: 1.9.0 [INFO] Git: 9ac393fa02 [INFO] ================================================= [INFO] [Input]: Found input driver: “dinput”. [INFO] [Environ]: SET_PIXEL_FORMAT: RGB565. [INFO] [Overrides]: Redirecting save file to “E:\Jogos\Emuladores\Retroarch\saves.srm”. [INFO] [Overrides]: Redirecting save state to “E:\Jogos\Emuladores\Retroarch\states.state”. [INFO] Version of libretro API: 1 [INFO] Compiled against API: 1 [INFO] [Audio]: Set audio input rate to: 48000.00 Hz. [INFO] [Video]: Video @ 1280x960 [INFO] [Vulkan]: Vulkan dynamic library loaded. [INFO] [Vulkan]: Found vulkan context: vk_w [INFO] [Vulkan]: Detecting screen resolution 1920x1080. [INFO] [Vulkan]: Found GPU at index 0: GeForce GTX 970 [INFO] [Vulkan]: Found GPU at index 1: GeForce GTX 970 [INFO] [Vulkan]: Using GPU index 0. [INFO] [Vulkan]: Using fences for WSI acquire. [INFO] [Vulkan]: Using GPU: GeForce GTX 970 [INFO] [Vulkan]: Queue family 0 supports 16 sub-queues. [ERROR] [Vulkan]: Failed to create device. [ERROR] [WGL]: win32_set_video_mode failed. [ERROR] [Vulkan]: Failed to set video mode. [ERROR] [Video]: Cannot open video driver … Exiting … [ERROR] Fatal error received in: “init_video()”

Everything works for me again, the problem was from the latest versions of Windows 10 with the latest drivers, with the latest version of the Nvidia drivers, everything was solved.