RetroArch crash to desktop if i use Vulkan video driver

Hi to all, until yesterday i used vulkan driver to run games. Suddenly now if i want to launch retroarch with vulkan driver, it crashes istantly. To run it i’ve to change video driver from retroarch.cfg file from vulkan to gl. I’ve tried to update my video driver, but the issue is still present.

This is the log file:

[INFO] RetroArch 1.9.0 (Git 6388872a54)

[INFO] === Build =======================================

[INFO] CPU Model Name: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics

[INFO] Capabilities: MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4 SSE4.2 AES AVX

[INFO] Built: Aug 11 2020

[INFO] Version: 1.9.0

[INFO] Git: 6388872a54

[INFO] =================================================

[INFO] [Environ]: SET_PIXEL_FORMAT: RGB565.

[INFO] [Overrides]: Redirecting save file to “C:\Users\RAC\Desktop\RetroArch\saves.srm”.

[INFO] [Overrides]: Redirecting save state to “C:\Users\RAC\Desktop\RetroArch\states.state”.

[INFO] Version of libretro API: 1

[INFO] Compiled against API: 1

[INFO] [Audio]: Set audio input rate to: 48000.00 Hz.

[INFO] [Video]: Video @ 960x720

[INFO] [Vulkan]: Vulkan dynamic library loaded.

[INFO] [Vulkan]: Found vulkan context: vk_w

[INFO] [Vulkan]: Detecting screen resolution 1600x900.

[INFO] [Vulkan]: Found GPU at index 0: Radeon RX 570 Series

[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using GPU index 0.

[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using fences for WSI acquire.

[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using GPU: Radeon RX 570 Series

[INFO] [Vulkan]: Queue family 0 supports 1 sub-queues.

[ERROR] [Vulkan]: Failed to create device.

[ERROR] [WGL]: win32_set_video_mode failed.

[ERROR] [Vulkan]: Failed to set video mode.

[ERROR] [Video]: Cannot open video driver … Exiting …

[ERROR] Fatal error received in: “init_video()”

2 Likes

Looks like it’s still trying to use vulkan. Did you save an override after you changed it? Does your retroarch.cfg still say “gl” or did it change back?

1 Like

if i use open gl is all ok, if i use vulkan there’s an istant crash. But it’s very strange, i’ve always used vulkan until yesterday without problems.

I’ve downloaded a fresh version of retroarch. It works, but when i switch to vulkan driver and reboot retroarch, it crashes.

The same thing happens to me, 2 days ago Vulkan stopped working, yesterday at least it entered the interface but it failed in the cores, now it does not load the interface, it gives an error.

If you put the debug screen the following appears.

I tried with a clean version of RA, but nothing, with GL without problems, is to put Vulkan, exit and it stops working and before perfect. The graphic is an Nvidia GTX 970 and Windows 10 x64 all updated.

I even reinstalled Windows thinking I would have a problem, but no, it’s still the same.

1 Like

git commit -a -m"Cleanups"

where can we write this command?

LOL sorry My bad it was a bad joke explaining the development process that causes these bugs.

Yeah it happens on my PC too. And after it happens other vulkan apps stop working too

1 Like

Can confirm the same issue. Tested with both the latest stable and nightly, as soon as I change to vulkan driver it just crashes as soon as it opens Retroarch.

Intel i7 4970k and Nvidia GTX 970 here, with the latest drivers.

Here’s the log file:

[INFO] RetroArch 1.9.0 (Git 9ac393fa02) [INFO] === Build ======================================= [INFO] CPU Model Name: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz [INFO] Capabilities: MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4 SSE4.2 AES AVX [INFO] Built: Oct 9 2020 [INFO] Version: 1.9.0 [INFO] Git: 9ac393fa02 [INFO] ================================================= [INFO] [Input]: Found input driver: “dinput”. [INFO] [Environ]: SET_PIXEL_FORMAT: RGB565. [INFO] [Overrides]: Redirecting save file to “E:\Jogos\Emuladores\Retroarch\saves.srm”. [INFO] [Overrides]: Redirecting save state to “E:\Jogos\Emuladores\Retroarch\states.state”. [INFO] Version of libretro API: 1 [INFO] Compiled against API: 1 [INFO] [Audio]: Set audio input rate to: 48000.00 Hz. [INFO] [Video]: Video @ 1280x960 [INFO] [Vulkan]: Vulkan dynamic library loaded. [INFO] [Vulkan]: Found vulkan context: vk_w [INFO] [Vulkan]: Detecting screen resolution 1920x1080. [INFO] [Vulkan]: Found GPU at index 0: GeForce GTX 970 [INFO] [Vulkan]: Found GPU at index 1: GeForce GTX 970 [INFO] [Vulkan]: Using GPU index 0. [INFO] [Vulkan]: Using fences for WSI acquire. [INFO] [Vulkan]: Using GPU: GeForce GTX 970 [INFO] [Vulkan]: Queue family 0 supports 16 sub-queues. [ERROR] [Vulkan]: Failed to create device. [ERROR] [WGL]: win32_set_video_mode failed. [ERROR] [Vulkan]: Failed to set video mode. [ERROR] [Video]: Cannot open video driver … Exiting … [ERROR] Fatal error received in: “init_video()”

Everything works for me again, the problem was from the latest versions of Windows 10 with the latest drivers, with the latest version of the Nvidia drivers, everything was solved.

Hi all, I have the same problem. If i change to vulkan ans exit, retroarch can’t open. But if i run a game and change to vulkan it’s work.

Retroarch 1.9 and Win7

Any ideas ?

I have the same problem. I actually tried switching to Vulkan because I am having trouble upscaling my internal resolution with gl. It will work on the lowest resolution setting, but if I upscale the resolution even to 2x I get an instant crash with the same error. Switched to Vulkan and it just crashes from the get-go with the same error…

Here are my specs: [INFO] RetroArch 1.9.0 (Git 6388872a54) [INFO] === Build ======================================= [INFO] CPU Model Name: AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 2400GE w/ Radeon Vega Graphics [INFO] Capabilities: MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4 SSE4.2 AES AVX [INFO] Built: Aug 11 2020 [INFO] Version: 1.9.0 [INFO] Git: 6388872a54

Hi! A similar issue cropped up for me recently where attempting to load the Vulkan driver crashes RetroArch. I’m using RetroArch 1.9.2 on Windows 10 20H2 19042.928. My computer is the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 (2020) with fully updated software and drivers. I’ve attempted a factory software reinstall / ran all updates, to no avail. Vulkan previously worked fine until recently. Other video drivers work fine.

The computer has hybrid graphics AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS (Driver Version 20.10.20.02-200616a-357310C-Asus) / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (Driver Version 466.27). I’ve attempted to assign both the integrated and dedicated graphics to RetroArch, and got the same error log, viewable via Pastebin link below. Any insight would be appreciated.

[INFO] RetroArch 1.9.2 (Git 77967f0)[INFO] === Build ========================= - Pastebin.com

I discovered a solution to my Vulkan crashing issue, thanks to user Flynn58 on the RetroArch Discord #help channel, as reported on 4/20/21. Go into Device Manager > Display Adapters, and disable then re-enable the iGPU (in my case, AMD Radeon Graphics). They posit a theory as to why this is in the Discord. All I care about is that it works again! :smiley:

2 Likes

holy sht!! it works!! thanks a bunch bro!! :smiley:

Upon further investigation, the Vulkan crashing was the result of a now-resolved bug in AMD drivers that seems unique to AMD Radeon iGPU / Nvidia dGPU environments. More info is as follows:

On an affected system, typing vulkaninfo at the command prompt in Windows results in the following error:

vulkaninfo WARNING: [Loader Message] Code 0 : ReadDataFilesInRegistry: Registry lookup failed to get layer manifest files. The selected gpu (0) is not a valid GPU index. The available GPUs are in the range of 0 to 18446744073709551615.

The issue is documented here: https://github.com/KhronosGroup/Vulkan-Loader/issues/552

And acknowledged by AMD here: https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/AMDVLK/issues/196

And fixed in the AMD Radeon 2021.Q2.1 release: https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/AMDVLK/issues/196#issuecomment-815423841

Despite resolution, you may continue to experience the error on a fully updated system if your system manufacturer has yet to release an updated AMD driver. If you are experiencing this issue, you have two options:

Workaround: In addition to the workaround solution I shared above, here’s another (untested by me): As detailed in KhronosGroup/Vulkan-Loader#552, at the command prompt, enter the string: set DISABLE_LAYER_AMD_SWITCHABLE_GRAPHICS_1=1

Note: You may prefer the workaround route if you do not want to deviate from the drivers provided by your system manufacturer on the chance that your system manufacturer eventually releases an updated AMD Radeon driver they’ve fully tested.

OR

Resolution: Install latest AMD Radeon graphics drivers directly from AMD. It is recommended that you do the optional factory reset in the installation options. However, installing the latest Radeon driver from AMD may cause unintended side effects on your system, as this driver is not fully tested or integrated by your computer manufacturer.

Note: Before installing the latest driver directly from AMD, you may wish to visit your system manufacturer’s driver download page specific to your system to see if an updated driver is available that was not made available via auto-update means.

Best of luck, and happy retro gaming!

I know I’m kind of necro-ing an old thread here, but I can’t create my own threads yet, and I was hoping someone could help me out since it’s a similar issue. I am playing Xenogears with a texture pack, and while there are times it runs slow/choppy, but I can deal with that. However, it’s just been crashing on me altogether. The logs are very short. I looked up how to create logs, and this is all I see when RetroArch crashes: [INFO] [Config]: Saved new config to “C:\RetroArch-Win64\retroarch.cfg”. [INFO] [Environ]: SET_CONTROLLER_INFO. [INFO] [Environ]: SET_GEOMETRY. [libretro INFO] Creating graphics pipeline. [libretro INFO] Creating graphics pipeline. [libretro INFO] Creating graphics pipeline. [libretro INFO] Creating graphics pipeline. [libretro INFO] Creating graphics pipeline. [libretro INFO] Creating graphics pipeline. [libretro INFO] Creating graphics pipeline. [libretro INFO] Creating graphics pipeline. [libretro ERROR] Failed to allocate image memory (type 7, size: 5069824).

I should mention that I’m using Vulkan for GPU and Beetle with the US version of the PS1 firmware. I have a GTX 1080 video card, and I ran a stress test on it to make sure it’s not the problem (no issues with the stress test on Fumark). When I look at the Windows Event Viewer, this is what I’m getting after the crash:

Faulting application name: retroarch.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000 Faulting module name: mednafen_psx_hw_libretro.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000 Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x00000000003440f5 Faulting process id: 0x216c Faulting application start time: 0x01d95b920b1ec8aa Faulting application path: C:\RetroArch-Win64\retroarch.exe Faulting module path: C:\RetroArch-Win64\cores\mednafen_psx_hw_libretro.dll Report Id: 35755e4f-fc4f-495f-a3b6-4f6880a8320c Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:

So it looks like something in mednafen_psx_hw_libretro.dll is not playing nice.

I’ve been playing for 90+ hours, and the crashes just started happening the past couple of days. I was using 1.14 and just upgraded to 1.15 to see if that would make a difference, but it did not.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks.