RetroArch crashes after connecting SteelSeries Nimbus Controller OS X

I’m running OS X 10.12.4 (most up to date version) and any time I connect the SteelSeries Nimbus controller, RetroArch 1.5.0 immediately crashes. I recorded a video demonstrating the Nimbus controller working with OpenEMU and what I am experiencing on my computer.

Thanks for your help

Im having the same issue. I posted this already long time ago. Dont spect a fix soon.

Thank you for commenting. It’s nice to know someone is out there

Do you think it will get fixed if I put a $20 bounty on it?

1 Like

Welcome. Mmm, maybe. Dont think is going to be that hard to fix the issue.

whats your name on GitHub? I wanted to tag you in the post where I added a bounty. I’m hoping it catches their attention.

MaquinaDelMisterio is my user name in github

Goddamnit. I should have googled before I bought this controller. I wonder what the bounty threshold is to get this working.

I submitted a $20 bounty with no bites after 4 months…

I think the problem that RetroArch OSX version doesn’t have MFi driver input. That’s why when you connect MFi controller to mac RetroArch crashes. Ios version has MFI hid and mfi input drivers. I think its pretty simple to add command line to include the MFi input driver to OSX version.

I will legitimately PayPal you $20 if you were to fix this…it’s not much but you are the most active person so I have to do something!

I appreciate the offer, and i would it without taking money. But as i said before I’m not a developer, so I can’t do anything about. You make contact Twinplex and tell him that Retroarch OSX version crashes when you connect MFi controller. Also OSX version has only one input driver which is hid, unlike ios has two input drivers hid and MFi.

Is this still an issue? I might have a look at it this week if it is as I have this controller.

Yes, it still happens, at least for me.

macOS 10.13.2, Binary distribution or RetroArch 1.6.9 (Binary distribution = downloaded from official site, not compiled myself, etc.). SteelSeries Nimbus, with Full battery, and latest firmware, as of this writing.

MacBook Pro Mid-2012, Bluetooth 4.0, 480 GB Samsung SSD, 4 GB Ram. All is original/stock Hardware, except for SSD.

If it matters, I do have the latest Xcode. I am not a programmer, but I am familiar with the concepts involved in programming. (I used to program back in the 1980’s and 1990’s, but not since.)

I also have basic familiarity with Xcode UI. Short version is, if you or anyone else would like me to compile a debug build, and include the logs, I believe I can handle that.

–Aaron

Also, FWIW: Although this does not fix the startup crash, I have found a project on GitHub, called MFHID. In a nutshell, it takes an MFI device, and translates the inputs (button-presses, etc), into HID events. With the program loaded, it should work as a temporary stop-gap to bring Nimbus input into RetroArch, without having to specifically write MFI support into RetroArch/LibRetro source - at least in theory. The driver requires you to first pair your Mac with the Nimbus, but since doing so causes RetroArch to crash, I am unable to test. If some smart person, were able to work-around or prevent the Crash issue, then hopefully, with the help of the MFHID app, the Nimbus would function as a working controller for macOS & OS X users, until such time as a native MFI driver is added to RetroArch.

Link to MFHID:

MFHID must be compiled from source, AFAIK. I haven’t really looked for a pre-compiled binary, but there doesn’t appear to be a link to such in the README.md file.

MFHID requires foohid, also available on GitHub, here:

Binary release (.pkg inside a DMG), available here: https://github.com/unbit/foohid/releases/tag/0.2.1

There are a few complaints of foohid not installing properly on macOS Sierra and High Sierra. I should note that I did not have any issues on High Sierra 10.12.2, with the 0.2.1 release package. YMMV.

–Aaron

To anyone following this thread, I just pulled the latest changes from Git, on Master branch, and compiled with debugging info.

The crash occurs on iohidmanager_hid.c, in function “iohidmanager_hid_device_add”, on line 662.

I would be happy to send/attach pertinent info/logs/details. Except. I don’t know how…

I’m not so familiar with the Xcode UI.

I’m not sure if this is related, but the console output in Xcode shows the following:

2017-12-26 17:57:02.052795-0800 RetroArch[5915:101551] Month 13 is out of bounds 2017-12-26 17:57:02.098793-0800 RetroArch[5915:101633] Month 13 is out of bounds 2017-12-26 17:57:02.210407-0800 RetroArch[5915:101551] Month 13 is out of bounds 2017-12-26 17:57:03.243045-0800 RetroArch[5915:101551] Month 13 is out of bounds 2017-12-26 17:57:03.246575-0800 RetroArch[5915:101551] Month 13 is out of bounds 2017-12-26 17:57:03.252293-0800 RetroArch[5915:101551] Month 13 is out of bounds

I’m happy to contribute when and where I can.

–Aaron Outhier

Edit: Strange, that block quite looks just fine in the preview, but comes out garbled in the final post…

Hi, I’ve just post an answer here: https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/4816

I’ve found the problem and explain how to QUICK FIX. I suggested modification of “iohidmanager_hid_device_add” function … Now, on my iMac, I’m able to use my Nimbus controller and continue to use my SONY PS4 controller.

My FIX may be easy to setup as you already known how to use Xcode … :wink: