Retroarch crashes after Vulkan driver selection - Huawei Ascend P9 Lite (Android 6.0)

Hello, I recently have recived a new device with a OpenGL ES 3.2 & Vulkan Suport.

However, I’m trying to execute Parallel but it’s imposible. When I select Vulkan driver and reset Retroarch, this closed suddenly without any kind of response.

What do I wrong?

Thank you Friends of retro!

I don’t think anyone has gotten it to work on Android yet. The Nvidia vulkan driver just gives a black screen in Android though it works fine on desktop.

Ahh ok!!!

I thought that vulkan devices could! Ohh my god!

It’s interesting, but I’m able to run the Dolphin Vulkan Render on my Shield TV with little if any graphical issues so far. So what is wrong with it running Retroarch?

I can’t get ParaLLEl to run either but I can run Snes9x and a few others just fine on the Vulkan backend via my Shield TV Pro. (I would rather not use it yet for other cores because of no shader access,waiting on a 5xBR or 6xBR slang shader for it)

What is the regular Mupen core doing when I select the parallel settings? It runs for some reason even despite no Vulkan mode,is it smartly reverting to Glide?

yeah, i think it just drops back to defaults.

The Vulkan renderer works fine on Android, it’s just ParaLLEl that doesn’t work (well, along with the libretro-gl cores, like mupen64plus and ppsspp). I use Vulkan full-time on my Shield and the performance is much, much better than with opengl. I can set my audio latency down to 16 ms, which is lower than many PCs can achieve and a/v sync is rock-solid without hacks like threaded video.

“No shader access” is a huge exaggeration. I’ve ported a majority of them, including the giant clusterfuck that is crt-royale, though I had trouble with the snarls of boolean comparisons in the xBR varieties (this is one of the biggest differences between Cg and GLSL shader languages; Cg is very permissive/intuitive in these comparisons’ syntax, and the xBR and ScaleFx shaders abuse this). I was able to get 2xBR-lv1-multipass working, and sabr-v3.0 (with some artifacts), though, so those will have to tide you over until Hyllian and/or Sp00kyFox can port their shaders themselves.

1 Like

[QUOTE=hunterk;48611]yeah, i think it just drops back to defaults.

The Vulkan renderer works fine on Android, it’s just ParaLLEl that doesn’t work (well, along with the libretro-gl cores, like mupen64plus and ppsspp). I use Vulkan full-time on my Shield and the performance is much, much better than with opengl. I can set my audio latency down to 16 ms, which is lower than many PCs can achieve and a/v sync is rock-solid without hacks like threaded video.

“No shader access” is a huge exaggeration. I’ve ported a majority of them, including the giant clusterfuck that is crt-royale, though I had trouble with the snarls of boolean comparisons in the xBR varieties (this is one of the biggest differences between Cg and GLSL shader languages; Cg is very permissive/intuitive in these comparisons’ syntax, and the xBR and ScaleFx shaders abuse this). I was able to get 2xBR-lv1-multipass working, and sabr-v3.0 (with some artifacts), though, so those will have to tide you over until Hyllian and/or Sp00kyFox can port their shaders themselves.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, how I wish I could use the Vulkan API on my Shield, but given that it’s on Android 5.0 and not 6.0, that’s never gonna happen; and the reason why that is is if I updated via OTA to 6.0, I would lose all my apps and other data, so…yeah. I have to set my CPU to full power to get the same results as you do on your tablet sigh. Should I update my Shield K1 to Marshmallow? Will my MOGA controller still work?

No clue. I have a Shield ATV and use the Shield-branded controllers that go with it, so I don’t have much experience with the other stuff.

That doesn’t answer my question on whether or not I should still update? Will it delete all my data on the internal and external storage? I don’t want to have to back up everything.

Hey Hunterk what’s the retroarch view on sharing settings files. I don’t see much of it around here and think it helps people out loads understanding things like new vulkan. I would love to see your shield set of config files/folders.

I would put packs together and put them up here (eventually when competent enough)

I’m doing that with Hyperspin at the moment.

Sure, go nuts.

Cool good to know. It’s gonna take me a while. My emu/retroarch knowledge is low level. But I will stick about and do something I’m sure.

I’m having a similar problem but with a chromebook and this forum won’t let me post a thread about it. I just want to know how to chaange the driver setting back since Retroarch doesn’t want to boot up

if you can’t get it to launch to change it through the menus, you’ll need to change it in the config file (or just delete the config file altogether to return to default settings)