RetroArch crashes/exits when closing a MAME rom

Whenever I close a MAME (2015) rom from the XMB overlay RetroArch instantly exits with no error message. This only started happening tonight. I like RetroArch but wow can it be so annoying at times.

Running the latest stable build.

Are you using per-core configs?

I had issues with that and XMB. I switched to config overrides and no crash any-more.

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;34571]Are you using per-core configs?

I had issues with that and XMB. I switched to config overrides and no crash any-more.[/QUOTE]

I’m using overrides.

Get us a log/backtrace and we’ll look into it.

I checked the log earlier and found no errors.

It’s happening on loads of random roms, regardless of config, overrides, overlays or no overlays, shaders or no shaders. For example, Outrun and Outrun Turbo crashes on exit, as do many Sega games of that era. There is no error, just a instant crash, so no log info. The games play fine, but any time you exit, or try to close core and load something else and instant crash.

Yeah, that log’s not giving us anything useful. Would you mind running it through gdb?

You can download a Windows build from here: http://www.equation.com/servlet/equation.cmd?fa=gdb drop it into your RetroArch folder, open a command window and type gdb retroarch-debug.exe and then at the gdb prompt, type run --menu --verbose. Then, make it crash (it will just freeze rather than actually going down) and go back to the prompt and type ‘bt’ (for ‘backtrace’).

Okay I think I did what you asked…

Yeah, that’s correct. It’s saying that it’s exiting properly, though. No crash.

Well I got Outrun to crash, but nothing informative was logged in gdb.

NAME: outrun DESCRIPTION: Out Run (sitdown/upright, Rev B) YEAR: 1986 MANUFACTURER: Sega Value not supported for option netdevprovider - falling back to auto [New Thread 2124.0xa4c] [New Thread 2124.0x428] [Thread 2124.0x428 exited with code 0] [Thread 2124.0xa4c exited with code 0] [New Thread 2124.0xb4c] [New Thread 2124.0x508] [Thread 2124.0xb64 exited with code 0] [New Thread 2124.0x968] Average speed: 99.91% (5 seconds) Assertion failed!

Program: D:\Emulators\RetroArch_Nightly\retroarch_debug.exe File: …/…/…/…/…/src/emu/render.c, Line 2421

Expression: m_live_textures == 0

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information. [Thread 2124.0xa68 exited with code 3] [Thread 2124.0x508 exited with code 3] [Thread 2124.0xb4c exited with code 3] [Thread 2124.0x9bc exited with code 3] [Thread 2124.0x96c exited with code 3] [Thread 2124.0xa50 exited with code 3] [Thread 2124.0x968 exited with code 3] [Thread 2124.0x370 exited with code 3] [Thread 2124.0x124 exited with code 3] [Thread 2124.0x2a8 exited with code 3] [Thread 2124.0x9a4 exited with code 3] [Thread 2124.0xad8 exited with code 3] [Thread 2124.0x120 exited with code 3] [Inferior 1 (process 2124) exited with code 03] (gdb)

Also, something appears to be broken when trying to load games that require CHD images. NOT ON STABLE, though. Only on Nightly (Feb 17 and 19)

Hi, I have the same problem since 1.3.0 on windows. I play mame games fine and If I want to close game or change core, It crash. I think Its a known issue which has been reported to github here : https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/2602 (am I wrong or its a different issue there ?) They said it will be corrected in the 1.3.1 version

@hostile1975 Ah, yeah, you’re right. Good looking out!

That explains why gdb didn’t find anything useful: the core isn’t actually crashing, it’s telling RetroArch “we’re done here, so go ahead and exit.” Still not good but, yeah, seems to be a known issue that should be fixed fairly soon.

[QUOTE=hunterk;34671]@hostile1975 Ah, yeah, you’re right. Good looking out!

That explains why gdb didn’t find anything useful: the core isn’t actually crashing, it’s telling RetroArch “we’re done here, so go ahead and exit.” Still not good but, yeah, seems to be a known issue that should be fixed fairly soon.[/QUOTE]

Yes that’s the thing. It exits in the same fashion as it would if I pressed Esc. Only MAME.

yes, MAME and prboom implement the shutdown callback It’s a core issue not a RetroArch issue, but I guess retroarch could decide whether to shut down or not the frontend

I wish I could remember the name but I think it was the CPS3 core for FBA was also doing the same thing.