Retroarch crashes when I try to load games (Windows 10). Didn't do that before

The electricity in my house went out randomly a few days ago. Since then, Retroarch has done two things:

• Totally forget what games I played (the “Open Recent” menu lists nothing)
  • Crash when I try to play any game on any core

I’m using Windows 10 64-bit. Any help?

Have you tried reinstalling? Anyway, the best first step is to get a verbose log. Open a command window and run retroarch_debug.exe --menu --verbose and it should print any errors to the console window.

“retroarch_debug.exe” isn’t even there in the directory. Wtf?

I don’t want to lose my savestate in Super Mario World. I guess I have no choice if I have to reinstall. But I installed two versions of this program already in the past, and lost all my settings when I installed the second version. I’m not looking forward to doing this yet again.

You don’t have to lose everything. Go download the latest full release and then copy your cfg files over from the old one. Your SMW savestate should be fine to copy over, too, as long as there hasn’t been any major change with the core in the meantime (and there hasn’t AFAIK).

I copied the config folder and cfg files both over. No “Load Recent”. I copied over the cores, too.

Games run in a window instead of fullscreen, and hitting F1 doesn’t bring up the menu anymore. What changed there?

I notice that instead of a “Load Recent” command, there’s a list of recent games. Still, nothing added except the one I played to test it.

All savestates are there. Emulators work.

However, while most problems have been solved, I still have another one: how do I exit a game without closing the emulator? F1 no longer works, and ESC closes it all down.

Now I have an enormous problem. I attempted to apply a shader to the SNES emulator. Now the screen is totally black and nothing shows, and I don’t see a way to undo it.

EDIT: problems all solved, including this one. (I chose a different shader to fix it. Love the NTSC filter, must say)

Only thing is I lost my history of played games, but the savestates appear to still be there. Thanks.

If I understand your issue correctly, the menu with the recent games is the same thing as ‘load recent’, it’s just a different menu.