RetroArch crashing after loading core-specific configuration file

Whenever I load a configuration file for a specific core, such as “mednafen_psx_hw_libretro.cfg”, RetroArch crashes/quits. If I delete the .cfg, make some changes and save a new core-specific configuration file, it works for a while, then the issues restarts. This issue happens to all core configs that I have currently installed. It doesn’t matter if I load a core before or not, as soon as I load a .cfg from config folder, RA crashes.

I enabled logging, but checking the log, I can’t find any apparent reasons for the crashes. I just change minor things such as video driver and input bindings, and then save into a new configuration file specific for a core. Would you know what might be causing the crashes? Thanks in advance.

You can’t change video_driver on the fly. Things get crashy. The only way to do that is to use an external launcher and pass the desired config at launch time using the -c command line switch.

1 Like

Not exactly sure what you mean by on the fly, because it also crashes even if I don’t change video drivers, even before loading a core or any contents.

If the config you load has options that conflict with the setup that’s currently running, such as another video driver, it will crash.

1 Like

Yep, loading a config with a video driver different than the current one is what caused the crashes, thanks. The reason I did this is because on Beetle Saturn, I get a considerable speedup with d3d12 driver instead of default vulkan, as my laptop CPU (core i7-4510U) is far from powerful. This speedup gain is enough to make it run at full speed. I also get a bit less CPU usage when using Direct3D 12 API video renderer.

Thank you man, now I know that if I wanna to load config, I have to previously select the same video driver before, or add a launch parameter to load a specific config file.

1 Like