RetroArch Crashing on Certain ROMs/Cores

Hey all,

I’m pretty new to this but I’ve been having some issues with certain ROMs crashing RetroArch on launch (SNES) and certain cores (ParaLLEl) not working with any ROMs and crashing when launched. I’m running Windows 10 64 bit, if that helps.

First things first, certain titles (Super Mario Kart, for instance) will crash RA when running on bsnes Balanced. When they do, the deBug reads like this:

[bsnes]: XML map: cartridge region=NTSC rom name=program.rom size=0x80000 ram name=save.ram size=0x800 map id=rom address=00-3f,80-bf:8000-ffff map id=rom address=40-7f,c0-ff:0000-ffff map id=ram address=10-3f,90-bf:6000-7fff mask=0xe000 necdsp model=uPD7725 frequency=8000000 rom id=program name=dsp1b.program.rom size=0x1800 rom id=data name=dsp1b.data.rom size=0x800 ram id=data size=0x200 map id=io address=00-1f,80-9f:6000-7fff select=0x1000

[bsnes]: [Memory]: ID 7, Request “manifest.bml”. [bsnes]: Complete load request. [bsnes]: [Memory]: ID 8, Request “program.rom”. [bsnes]: Load ROM. [bsnes]: Complete load request. [bsnes]: [Memory]: ID 9, Request “save.ram”. [bsnes]: Complete load request. [bsnes]: [Memory]: ID 27, Request “dsp1b.program.rom”. [bsnes]: Load BIOS. [bsnes]: Cannot find requested file in system directory: “C:\Emulators\RetroArch\system/dsp1b.program.rom”. [bsnes]: Complete load request. [bsnes]: [Memory]: ID 28, Request “dsp1b.data.rom”. [bsnes]: Load BIOS. [bsnes]: Cannot find requested file in system directory: “C:\Emulators\RetroArch\system/dsp1b.data.rom”. [bsnes]: Complete load request. [bsnes]: [Memory]: ID 6, Request “”. [bsnes]: Complete load request.

I can confirm that those files (dsp1b.program.rom, dsp1b.data.rom) are not in those folders (C:\Emulators\RetroArch\system). What should I be doing to remedy that?

Also, any ROM I try to launch with ParaLLEl will crash RA on launch and spits out this in the deBug:

Failed to open C:\Emulators\RetroArch\saves(any ROM I try).srm: No such file or directory

I can confirm that there aren’t any .srm files for the ROM I try to launch in C:\Emulators\RetroArch\save, but they’ve never successfully launched, so I don’t know how those files were to have been created.

Any ideas? I reinstalled RetroArch and all the cores, but that didn’t seem to make a difference. And other folks seem to be able to run these specific ROMs just fine with the same cores. I’m pretty stuck at this point.

You need to get those files into the system folder for bsnes. Google ‘Emulation General Wiki’ it’ll be the first link. Look around the front page there for ‘Files and Bios’. I recommend just downloading the all-in-one pack ‘Bios files for RetroArch cores’ and dropping the contents into the system folder. You’ll never have to worry about bioses again. (well maybe not for the Saturn core since it’s brand new).

As for the Parallel core I have no idea. Are you using the vulkan driver?

Thank you so much for the help with the Bios! Worked like a charm. You’re a life saver!

You’ll have to excuse my ignorance as far as the Vulkan drivers are concerned. I’m pretty sure I’m running the most current Nvidia GeForce drivers on a GTX 645 (upgrading to an R9 390 next week, so there may be a whole new slue of issues then).

Do you have the video driver set to vulkan in the Driver settings of RetroArch?

It’s set to gl

Parallel uses vulkan so set it to that.

Worked again! Thanks so much!