Retroarch CRT problems

Hello,

i use windows 7 professional and Crt B&O MX 6000, Ati HD5450

i had used the retroarch tutorial from cdcruze.

I installed retroarch and set everything, the menu is displayed in 240p. Then I load the core: genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll and start the game. The game is displayed in 240p, the crt is missing below 5 centimeters from the game When I want to end retroarch, it doesn’t go back to the desktop but changes the resolution and i can’t see anything anymore and have to press reset on the pc. When the pc is booted and i want to start retroarch the menu 240p is only 1/3 visible and faulty.

Sorry for my english, i come from germany. Greetings patrick

1 Like

Do other cores work properly? Are you using the 1.7.7 stable build or a nightly? You might also try Alphanu’s fork (I forget the name of it), as I think he’s worked on some things that aren’t in mainline yet.

I have now managed to get full screen by selecting the resolution myself in the 240p menu. As soon as i reload another game the old image comes up again where 5 centimeters are missing and i have to set the resolution myself in the 240p menu again. At different snes games there are totally funny resolutions, sometimes i don’t recognize anything, sometimes the 5 centimeters are again.

It looks as if Retroarch or Switch Res can’t assign the resolutions correctly.

Hi hunterk,

i used the stable version first the current 1.7.7 then i am on 1.7.6. With all three core the same error is with the resolutions and image errors.

• genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll
  • mednafen_pce_libretro.dll
  • mednafen_snes_libretro.dll

Should I use the nightly version, is it better?

Thanks!

It’s worth trying it. I think Alphanu merged a few things since the stable was released.

I’ll test right away, thank you.

Unfortunately the errors in the nightly version have all remained the same. I can’t close a game or exit Retroarch. The image below is still truncated unless I change it myself in the resolutions in the Video option. But even that is sometimes wrong when undoing.

Tested version MME4CRT ver 1.7.6.5 of Alphanu, the same bugs as with the other versions. On the same pc runs groovymame perfectly, I do not understand it with retroarch.

You have mentioned grooveymame, so I assume you are using CRTEmudriver! I have a few questions to ask befor I can guess whay might be the problem.

Have you install all your resolutions in “Static Mode” and not dynamic mode?

Have you used ArcadeOSD to check all the resolutions you have installed work correctly?

With Genesis GX have you enabled boarder? these are there on the real hardware and do effect the resolution generated for 15khz. these resolutions you may not have installed though.

could you point me in the direction of the guide that you followed?

1 Like

Have you install all your resolutions in “Static Mode” and not dynamic mode?

I tested static mode and dynamic mode both the same errors in retroarch.

Have you used ArcadeOSD to check all the resolutions you have installed work correctly?

Yes

With Genesis GX have you enabled boarder? these are there on the real hardware and do effect the Resolution generated for 15khz. these resolutions you may not have installed though.

No, I didn’t activate it. How do you do it?

could you point me in the direction of the guide that you followed?

https://cdcruze.com/2019/03/retroarch-and-crt-emudriver-setup-guide/

I’ve notices you have withdrawn your posts. Did you end up finding what the issue was?

Unfortunately no, i have tested the stable, nightly and your version in modlines dynamic and static mode. It starts the games with wrong resolution and hz. The resolutions are also displayed in arcade osd and i can start them all.If i go to the retroarch option video, and select the right resolution the games work.Only i can’t close the games and end retroarch, there are always picture errors.

For all Japanese Snes games I can no longer set the resolution in the Retroarch video option. Since the game starts wrong and the Retroarch menu is so small, I can’t see anything. Then I have to press Reset on the PC. Occasionally also pc-engine games the same problem.

@Alphanu

Retroarch works now !

Unfortunately i have now in the snes and genesis play a tearing effect. Is there any way to fix it?

Edit:The bilinear filter was off.

1 Like

With bilinear filter it is blurred, someone an idea how to get rid of the tearing, is that a bug in retroarch ?

It’s not a bug in RetroArch, it’s a result of nearest-neighbor scaling to non-integer scale factors, which suggests that you’re not actually running at the native res. This is fine, but if you’re going to run non-native, you should probably consider doing a “super-res”, which uses a very large horizontal resolution to hide/eliminate uneven pixel sizes on the horizontal axis.

I switch in arcade osd desktop 320x240p runs retroarch super but I have tearing. I switch in arcade osd to Desktop 640x480 runs retroarch totally bugged but the tearing is gone.

On the same pc is groovymame and the arcade games have no tearing.

Try creating a res of 3840x240 (or, if that doesn’t work, 2560x240 or 1920x240). You’ll need to use a Custom Aspect Ratio in RetroArch and stretch it out to match (it’s a good idea to go ahead and stretch it out a few integer scale ticks before your switch to that res, or else RetroArch will be unusably scrunched up into a tiny line in the middle of the screen)

1 Like

@hunterk

with the resolution 1920x240 it worked now, the tearing is gone.

Many thanks!!!

1 Like

@hunterk

I have a big problem now. my groovymame frontend was set to 640x480i. Because at that time the desktop was set to 640x480i. For retroarch i changed the arcade osd to 320x240p, which works retroarch. I just started the fronted for groovymame and the screen had a distorted image. when i restart the pc the image on the desktop remains distorted so i can’t see anything anymore.

Desktop picture error

Does it help if you boot into safe mode and try to change it from there?

1 Like