RetroArch doesn't find cores

I have tried everything but Retroarch won’t remember cores. Only way I can get it to run a game is by doing the load content and detect core method. None of the games it has found in the scan directory area will run. You select the game and Run and it wants to download a core as it can’t find one. If you go ahead and let it download the core again it still wont work and find a core. I have moved the info files to the core directory, I have remapped the core info directory multiple times as well and still nothing. I have deleted the whole RetroArch directory and started over twice. Still can’t remember a single core no matter how many times you run updater and download cores. Really want to use Retroarch with my Launchbox setup. However it can’t launch a game as it can’t remember a single core. Any help greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you’ve tried the usual suspects for this sort of problem. However, I thought with Launchbox you could supply command line arguments…? If so, you don’t need RetroArch to detect the core, just pass -L /path/to/core.dll to specify which one to use.

I will have to try that. I had just been focused on getting Retroarch to work.

Any other ideas why RetroArch wouldn’t be able to to remember cores or launch form a scanned directory? It also seems to take a bit of time before opening as well. Not sure what’s up.

I’m having zero luck with this. So frustrating. Super easy to setup individual emulators and use with Launchbox. But no matter what I do I cannot get Launchbox to work with Retroarch. Even editing the path to the right core does nothing. Just blinks like it’s gonna try to load retroarch then bounces back to launchbox.

Can you get a log from one of those failures? See my signature for how to get a log.

Which failure? There really isn’t a failure. Just Retroarch cannot remember an cores. So you go to launch a game and it can’t find a core so it asks you to download one. I download the snes9x one and then nothing happens. So you click on the game and run again and it asks the same thing. Around and around I go. In Launchbox I have tried everything. Setting Retroarch up with defaults in Launchbox, to forcing the path to the core per rom and per system association even. Nothing Don’t think it ever even launches Retroarch. If I right click on a rom in my Launchbox collection there is an option to open retroarch and that works…but that’s all that it does, opens retroarch.

I was referring to:

if it actually tries to launch RA but fails, we should be able to see what’s up. If not, it sounds like the issue is on your/launchbox’s end.

Just to make sure I’m on the same page: the core-downloading thing happens unrelated to Launchbox? As in, you double-click retroarch.exe and the problem starts right away? Also, where is your retroarch directory located? Somewhere in your user folder (e.g., Desktop) or somewhere like Program Files?

I don’t think it actually tries to launch RA from Launchbox, but I will try to get you a log to see if it does.

Yes the code-downloading thins is unrelated to Launchbox. No matter what core I download for SNES, it will not run any game that it has scanned into RA. Just hit run and then sees no core and wants to download one. Now I can get RA to work great by doing the load content + core method…but that’s the only way.

My Retroarch directory has been in either downloads or under the launchbox emulators folder. Which is not in program files but in the root of my second drive. Thx.

This is maddening and would love any help. I was content using different emulators for every system but with wireless controllers and windows it’s a crap shoot how each will show up and they swap players 1-4 each time they are connected…causing me to have to reconfig everytime. So I had hopes for Retroarch fixing that.

RetroArch will detect and assign them in the order you plug them in. If they’re going to be plugged in all the time, they’ll get assigned randomly each time, AFAIK.

As for your ongoing issue, I’m not sure what could be causing that. My guess is something weird with permissions but I dunno…