Retroarch dropping controllers when switching cores

Hello everyone,

I’ve searched, and I’ve searched, and I’ve searched. And I am tired of searching…

My version of Retroarch 1.2.2 on Windows 10, on my C:\drive.

I use a PS4 controller.

On suggestion from someone else, I turned on per core settings. I assumed it meant that whatever changes I make when using that core, the settings will be saved FOR that core only.

I WAS using just the global settings.

But I wanted to use individual shaders and borders for example on Gameboy, GBA, NES, SNES, etc.

But every time I switch a core and play a game, the controller no longer works, I can’t get back to the menu via keyboard to fix it, and I end up having to press ESC, which negates all the changes. Luckily, THEN the controller will work, and for two of my cores, the settings seem to have stayed. But every time I switch to a new core to set up and play a game to test my settings, the damn thing when the game loads, drops the controller, and I’m stuck in my stupid loop again. Up until I used that per core config setting, everything was working just fine. Now it’s not.

Now, if I turn per core configs off, and just use a global config, will that mean I can’t use borders and filters on each emulation core separately? Please let me know.

Or if you have workarounds, or hell, even if you have fixes! That’d be awesome!

P.S. The reason I’m not using version 1.3.0 is because it doesn’t seem to want to work on my machine, and this one does.

In the same menu where you can enable per-core configs, does it have an option to automatically load overrides? If so, you can stop using the per-core settings and start using the override system instead, whereby you can make config files that only contain the few things you need to change for a given core instead of loading entirely different configs. I think this would avoid your issue.

Other than that, if your per-core configs have other input mappings in them, it makes sense that your controller would stop working when it loads them. You could try opening them all in a text editor (such as notepad++) and see if they have conflicting input settings. If so, copy the input stuff from your global config into those per-core configs, as well.